Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Powerseeker 127 EQ. recommended eyepiece?

TomCrewe

Hello all, I have just joined having had a telescope as an Xmas gift, It’s a Celestron Powerseeker 127 EQ.
I came across ‘How to Improve Entry-Level Telescopes’ On You Tube On there they recommended a 15mm Plossl eyepiece and I have had a quick scan on internet and found many different manufacturers around the £30 mark.
My question is are there manufacturers to avoid and which can be recommended?

Found these.
Svbony SV131 1.25in Plossl 17mm, 48°Wide lens (i860) £22 ebay used,
SV207 1.25" Super Plossl 15mm 50° Eyepiece £33 new and
Meade Series 4000 Super Plossl Eyepieces 15mm £34.

What's the difference in Plossl and Super Possl?

The difference between a super plossl and a plossl depends, but is often marketing.  I think there used to be a super plossl with 5 elements, but nowadays they just have 4 elements.  They might have better coatings on a super plossl though.

Plossls are pretty decent to get going with but can get a bit tight with eyerelief at shorter focal lengths.  15mm will be fine, but might be a bit tight if you were glasses.  Others might be able to comment.  A good choice for upgrading over the stock eyepieces.

I use the sv131 32mm and optically I like it.  It's my most used eyepiece so I doubt you'll have an issue with the 17mm.  The 207 is apparently better.

Ultimately it probably won't make much of a difference.  Meade are more highly regarded and have a better pedigree.

Personally I'd avoid eBay and buy from an actual telescope shop.

You might want to have a look at first light optics astro essential super plossls instead.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astro-essentials-eyepieces/astro-essentials-super-plossl-eyepiece.html

Only £20.  I'm actually thinking about picking one up myself (20mm) just to round out my current range.

The 127EQ came with a 4mm lens and after reading more articles I purchased a 15mm & 26mm Super Plossl lenses,

I will see how I go with them and maybe add the 32mm later, Thanks for the help.

Edited by TomCrewe
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, TomCrewe said:

The 127EQ came with a 4mm lens and after reading more articles I purchased a 15mm & 26mm Super Plossl lenses,

I will see how I go with them and maybe add the 32mm later, Thanks for the help.

No worries.  You'll be well served with those 2 for some time.