Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Copernicus "study"

Andrew*

I was inspired to do some lunar sketching last night as I gazed across those beautiful, but barren lands.

Copernicus is one of those very special features of the moon, with its staggered banks, rays that stretch right across the moon, standing out proudly in a large stretch of lonely lunar ocean.

As complex as it appears through the eyepiece, I wanted to capture it somehow, although I knew before I started that I would not be able to render an accurate result. I merely wanted to portray its majesty, whether or not I achieved accuracy.

So you can call this art if you wish - I won't be offended! I will come back to it when I have some more time and patience and for now I'll leave this as a study!

Conditions: transparency: IV/V. Seeing III/V

Time: approx 11.20 pm - 12.00 am (4th April)

Scope: 6" f/8 Skywatcher Evostar

Eyepiece: 7mm TS Planetary (171x)

Materials: White and black Conte chalk pastels on A5 black 270gsm drawing paper

See Roy Batty's image that was taken at the same time for comparison.

Andrew

post-13113-133877364736_thumb.jpg

Yes, I agree with the other posters Andrew. That is an Incredible likeness of that magnificent lunar crater. You have recorded the terracing so well, and the whole scene is superb.

Well done mate. you have a great eye for detail.

Ron.;)

That's absolutely stunning!!!!!- I must not get a drawing of Corpernicus. I've never dared to because as you say, it's terribly complex, but you've shamed me into doing it!!!! Love the materials you've used, what are they?

Yey- the visual observers return in force!!!!

;) Well done Andrew, I love the relief... the glacis actually rises from the mare to meet the rim, and the rim literally towers over the floor. Very 3-D!

I'd have to agree with you that this might be considered more art than an accurate sketch, but I think you made the right choice. Copernicus is a very intimidating subject. Rather than go for the overwhelming amount of detail, you went with your heart and chose majesty. Good choice, I'd say.:rolleyes:

Thanks all so much for your very kind comments!:rolleyes:

;) Crikey Andrew, that's brilliant! you've certainly captured the complex nature of Copernicus, that must have taken ages to do!

Really not too bad actually - I didn't dilly-dally too much on fine details and just got the "feel" - about half an hour really...

Love the materials you've used, what are they?

I decided to try my first hand at white-on-black sketching. I have a nifty spiral bound A5 black card pad, called RKB Fat Pad. One white and one black conté chalk pastel, one putty rubber and a tortillon was all that was necessary. In fact the rubber did little - if it's too light, add more black and vice versa... I'll be trying this method out some more, although it doesn't lend itself ideally to fine details.

Andrew

Roy' s (Keith's) close-up was so much better than mine .... .

For the close-up of Copernicus, yes, but Keith didn't get the whole moon did he?!

I'd have to agree with you that this might be considered more art than an accurate sketch, but I think you made the right choice. Copernicus is a very intimidating subject. Rather than go for the overwhelming amount of detail, you went with your heart and chose majesty. Good choice, I'd say.;)

Thanks for your comments, Carol. I thought you'd have this take on it. However, I hope I can step up to the task of trying an accurate sketch with a bit more confidence, now that I have done this.

Andrew

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived