SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cleaning the Tak 😬

Stu

12 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

It may just have been tight Stu, and the recent up and down temperature extremes may have loosened it off?

Alternatively, (and I've no idea if this is the case in your scope), my FS128 dewshield threads on and off (very fine thread, so care is needed not to cross the threads), but the objective cell has a tiny grub screw on the side of the main ota tube which needs to be unscrewed before the lens cell itself can be unthreaded from the main ota🤔 .

Just a thought..

Dave

Thanks Dave. I’ll check that out, but suspect your temperature theory is more likely than the grub screw as I came off very easily, no force required at all.

Tak threads are a nightmare, all very fine and accurate, but quite easy to cross thread unless you are careful as you say.

I used to find that the sections of my FS60C and FC-76DC were hard to unscrew, until I realised that you had to completely loosen the tube rings to avoid any pressure on the threads. They are much easier now, though still quite screechy!

• Like 3

Regarding threads being a bit "screechy", I found that applying a very small amount of Lithium grease, with my little finger and rubbing gently around the threads so almost you can't see it, and then turning the threads gently a couple of times to distribute the grease across the threads should remove the noise👍.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Regarding threads being a bit "screechy", I found that applying a very small amount of Lithium grease, with my little finger and rubbing gently around the threads so almost you can't see it, and then turning the threads gently a couple of times to distribute the grease across the threads should remove the noise👍.

I did this exact thing with the focuser on my 102, when I removed the unsightly moonlight focuser it had and replaced with original focuser  unscrewing/screwing sounded like a train coming to a stop (well not that loud) 🤣A bit of lithium grease on the threads fixed it nicely.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Stu said:

It did this time, yes. Every previous effort I’ve made has been unsuccessful, it just seemed stuck fast so I’ve no idea what freed it finally.

Sorry Stu missed your earlier post on unscrewing the lens cell and understand now why you did it. 
Unless there’s a need I’ll do what I did last time and remove the dew shield only to clean the front of the lens. 

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

Hi @Stu that looks a great job.

Could you share your technique/process please?

Every time I look at my objective it seems to get dirtier!

Malcolm

Easy:  Stop looking at the objective. 😂

I've always wondered how folk clean expensive glass.  I've only had to clean my cheapy Tair, and it was riddled with fungus.

• Haha 3

On 05/01/2023 at 13:41, Highburymark said:

I can only presume that the gap between the doublet lenses is not fully sealed off to aid with temperature control? Glass expands and contracts in changing temperatures, so perhaps a small opening helps glass keep its shape? 

Yes @Stu I could see how thermal expansion/contraction could create gaps. 

Edited by wesdon1
obvious spelling mistake, hoe instead of how! ( now you see why I felt compelled to correct it! )