SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing the Moon- Love it? or Hate it?

F15Rules

15 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

You're right, Mike, Superficial is the word..so much detail, it's scary, and hard to make sense of with just short, 5 minute views. 

The other night I actually used my Moon maps mentioned above, on and off for over an hour, checking that what I thought I was seeing was what I was actually seeing. In this regard, what really helped were the maps with the same orientation view as my scope, ie image right way up but reversed left and right with a diagonal.

It was quite rewarding to "navigate" from the map and actually identify objects and features for myself, and to have different maps covering "chunks" of the moon definitely makes it easier to learn key features within that "chunk"..

Dave

This was largely my issue with the moon.  There is so much going on its intimidating.  Think I'll be up for the challenge now though.  If I start building that observing chair it'll help massively though.

I'd better get on that actually.  My work schedule has me off when the moon is fullest so I need to make the most of it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

In this regard, what really helped were the maps with the same orientation view as my scope, ie image right way up but reversed left and right with a diagonal.

That is exactly the problem with most lunar atlases, it's so confusing having to do a mental switch to make sense of the view. I've read that some of the Lunar apps that are available can switch the view to your particular scope, might have to get one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

That is exactly the problem with most lunar atlases, it's so confusing having to do a mental switch to make sense of the view. I've read that some of the Lunar apps that are available can switch the view to your particular scope, might have to get one.

I certainly find apps more useful than atlases.

For quick trawls up the terminator, I don’t think you can beat Moon Phase Photo Maps:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/moon-phase-photo-maps/id411816389

The same maps are also available at this website:

https://www.derekscope.co.uk/the-moon/

Lunar Quickmap is an excellent app too, very detailed although perhaps a little fiddly to use:

https://quickmap.lroc.asu.edu/?extent=-90%2C-62.8121931%2C90%2C62.8121931&id=lroc&showTerrain=true&queryOpts=N4XyA&layers=NrBsFYBoAZIRnpEBmZcAsjYIHYFcAbAyAbwF8BdC0yioA&proj=10

Example of detail when zoomed in:

5FB641C7-69BD-4FB5-BB89-1BFD2E9BA577.thumb.png.e50cefacc54a1a94ac6215f385b8b24e.png

Finally I also like the NASA lunar simulator, which gives very accurate representations of the terminator and shows all other features correctly illuminated. It’s a bit short on libelling of features but still useful. The 2023 version is here:

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/5048

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I've always thought the problem with the Moon is its familiarity. You see it naked eye so many times that it's become a bit humdrum subconsciously. I bet if it was a difficult target that you could only see with, say, a 16"+ dob, people would rave about it and spend lots of cash just to see it.

• Like 1

Just now, cajen2 said:

I've always thought the problem with the Moon is its familiarity. You see it naked eye so many times that it's become a bit humdrum subconsciously. I bet if it was a difficult target that you could only see with, say, a 16"+ dob, people would rave about it and spend lots of cash just to see it.

I wonder if you know anyone with a 16 inch scope... 

Hi Dave,

I love observing the Moon above all else. 

So much of interest with detail to challenge the hardiest observer. I can happily devote a long session to Moonwatching and if I want a break then the planets ,  double stars and clusters will do.  I enjoy hunting the grey smudges when the moon is not around.

I use binoviewers most of the time, as you well know, and these make Lunar viewing a remarkable and captivating experience.

I love the Moon !!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

An interesting and inspiring post, which for me the moon has definitely had me caught in plenty of 'marmite' moments, of 'wow it looks great' and 'why does it have to be so bright on the first and only clear night for 6 months.' 

I've just started to get into sketching and plucked up the courage to attempt to sketch what I'm seeing through the eyepiece. The moon will now be a regular target and I've just purchased, Atlas of the Night Sky to allow me to actually know what I'm looking at and target specific areas.

Thanks for the inspiration :) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DPF said:

I've just purchased, Atlas of the Night Sky

This is a fantastic book, not only does it have a lunar atlas showing the different telescopic views, but it contains a thorough A-Z constellation coverage and what appears to be a reprint of the Cambridge Star Atlas. Amazing, but I suppose it's what you should expect from the authors, Dunlop, Tirion and Rukl.

• Like 1

When I started out observing my expectations were set by reading posts over on CN by observers going for exotic dso's with huge scopes and perfect skies, then reality bit and I acclimatised to what is realistically possible over here with normal gear. I have always enjoyed the moon to be honest, there's so much to see and in comparison to most other targets that can often disappoint, the moon almost always delivers!

A couple of years ago I was totting up all the different objects I had seen to date and while I was expecting double stars or dsos to be the most numerous it was in fact lunar targets, and by a big margin.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 04/01/2023 at 21:38, Mike Q said:

I wonder if you know anyone with a 16 inch scope... 

I do! Several, plus larger scopes in fact!! Anyone living close to the Lancashire/Yorkshire border could avail themselves of the 16" Meade SCT's, 17.5" Dob,  and many other impressive telescopes on Saturday night's. Only keep your hands off the 4" Vixen Fluorite and the 8.5" achromat! :angry1:

2023-04-1014_42_56.png.10b1de00ead822e4cac180beb905ceb9.png

• Like 2

These days it would be a tight one on observing dates when Lunar and Solar were at the front of my recorded time,
But Solar is a second love to Lunar for me.
But it is not the only observing I do, no I have a broad church of observing interests.

I also have tried and like Binoviewing on Lunar, to date not on WL Solar.
But I also like monoviews of Solar  and Lunar for some reason.

I do need a driven mount for Lunar I think to some extent, but that's a drives on my Vixen GP needed for now.

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Like 2