Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A hypothetical question about dob...

Try combining a cheap Moon & Skyglow (Neodymium) filter with a #8 or #12 yellow filter (depending on how much violet and blue you want to cut) to create a poor man's Contrast Booster.  You might have 10% to 20% less transmittance, but that hardly matters on Jupiter or Mars at opposition.

Here's a solar spectrum comparison I worked up to show the effects:

105616831_MoonSkyGlowVariations.thumb.jpg.404fa00e2e4bec113936e40c7f2433f8.jpg

Compare to the official Baader spectra for several of their filters:

spacer.png

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, spacedobsonian said:

Going really off topic! Does it work on Jupiter and if not which simple (colour or any) filter will work for planetary?

For Jupiter, I find the Neodymium (moon and skyglow) is working best. It improves contrast but stays very neutral. Others prefer the contrast booster that gives a little bit more contrast but a yellow cast. 

What color filters concerns, I found the #80a/82a light blue gives the best results. But that is all very subjective. Best you try them out for yourself and not rely on opinions of others.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spacedobsonian said:

If you had to buy a small reflector dob (<6 inches) would you pay £20 more for a parabolical mirror BUT lose the ability to collimate?

Would you buy the cheaper, spherical mirror, collimatable reflector dob or a £20 more expensive, parabolic mirror, not collimatable reflector dob?

Honestly as @Mandy D said , i also have only collimated my 200p once and the difference you should normally get is so small you aren't going to notice unless the scope has being dropped etc. Lots of tool's about for collimation but don't let it put you off as a simple star test is more than enough .

Edited by Mart29
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mart29 said:

Honestly as @Mandy D said , i also have only collimated my 200p once and the difference you should normally get is so small you aren't going to notice unless the scope has being dropped etc. Lots of tool's about for collimation but don't let it put you off as a simple stsr test is more than enough .

Yes, dropping is not recommended! A UK Dover customs officer lifted the back (mirror) end of the box carrying my 250PX in the back of my Land Rover and deliberately dropped it about a foot. He got a serious rocketing from me about that! Didn't budge the collimation, though, which seriously surprised me.

• Like 2

Personally, I have found that if I don't regularly collimate my reflectors, I can't "trust" the views i'm seeing are as good as practically possible, all other variables excluded!? Basically I find myself not enjoying the views as much because in the back of my mind i'm thinking "but imagine how much sharper these views would be if my collimation was perfect!?" LOL I guess it's just down to personal preferences! ( That being said, I do know that unless your collimation is significantly out, the views aren't affected to a point that is noticeable. I'm just a bit of a perfectionist! LOL )

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

Yes, dropping is not recommended! A UK Dover customs officer lifted the back (mirror) end of the box carrying my 250PX in the back of my Land Rover and deliberately dropped it about a foot. He got a serious rocketing from me about that! Didn't budge the collimation, though, which seriously surprised me.

😅 I sent the VX6l flying over and it went through the TV screen in the living room. TV dead , scope all good 

• Sad 3

35 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

I enjoy the word "rocketing" here 😅

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Mart29 said:

I enjoy the word "rocketing" here 😅

Yes, I would have liked to launch him into space! It is just one of several bad experiences with Dover customs. I usually end up in their customs shed when I pass through!

I'm glad your VX6L survived, but shame about the TV. I hope it was a case of "Oh well, I wanted a new one, anyway!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mandy D said:

Yes, I would have liked to launch him into space! It is just one of several bad experiences with Dover customs. I usually end up in their customs shed when I pass through!

I'm glad your VX6L survived, but shame about the TV. I hope it was a case of "Oh well, I wanted a new one, anyway!"

Definitely was time for a new one 😅

• Like 2