SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Plato Craterlets and Alpine Rille

Stu

I had a fairly brief but useful session on the Moon just now, curtailed before it really got going by cloud, unfortunately.

Using the FC100DC with MaxBright II binoviewers at about x155, I was catching four Plato Craterlets (though not splitting C and D), and it felt like there was more to come if I threw more mag at it. Unfortunately I had to head in for dinner, and when I came back out the cloud had come over.

I also managed to see parts of the Alpine Rille as a bright line down the Alpine Valley. Haven’t managed this in the 4” for quite a while so it was quite pleasing. Such a shame I didn’t get the chance to go to higher powers, hopefully some others of you did.

I’m also very pleased with the Maxbrights, optically they seem excellent, and mechanically they are the best I’ve used, particularly the eyepiece holders.

EDIT Clavius looked pretty wonderful too, as did Copernicus. My eternal favourite Messier and Messier A were very clear too. Clear definition to the craters, and the two rays traces visible. Not a difficult target, but fun to observe and ever changing with the phase.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I had a fairly brief but useful session on the Moon just now, curtailed before it really got going by cloud, unfortunately.

Using the FC100DC with MaxBright II binoviewers at about x155, I was catching four Plato Craterlets (though not splitting C and D), and it felt like there was more to come if I threw more mag at it. Unfortunately I had to head in for dinner, and when I came back out the cloud had come over.

I also managed to see parts of the Alpine Rille as a bright line down the Alpine Valley. Haven’t managed this in the 4” for quite a while so it was quite pleasing. Such a shame I didn’t get the chance to go to higher powers, hopefully some others of you did.

I’m also very pleased with the Maxbrights, optically they seem excellent, and mechanically they are the best I’ve used, particularly the eyepiece holders.

It was very nice earlier this evening and I got some very sharp images of the Moon and was amazed at how many of the smaller craters I was seeing, not that I can name them. I was stuck at 600 mm on a full frame camera, as my back will not allow me to move the scopes at the moment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Highburymark said:

I managed four, fleetingly. I was using TSA-120 with 25mm Leicas in a binoviewer and lots of power - Tak extender and Powermate 4x - about 230x I reckon. Seeing pretty good. Mars looked great tonight.

Nice one Mark. So you did split C & D? I was hoping to give it a go with some higher power, but clouds said no! 😕

Seeing was strange, a bit wobbly but still plenty of detail visible.

• Like 1

Yes I did Stu - though it was only briefly. I only had one power out there tonight as I was testing the set up - with two extenders and microscope eyepieces - I think at 230-240x I was just overcooking it, and would have seen slightly more if I’d stuck at 200x.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Yes I did Stu - though it was only briefly. I only had one power out there tonight as I was testing the set up - with two extenders and microscope eyepieces - I think at 230-240x I was just overcooking it, and would have seen slightly more if I’d stuck at 200x.

Thanks Mark. I’m sure with good seeing you should be able to see more with the 120mm. I really must get the 130mm out more, I just seem to more often do quick sessions with the 100mm currently, probably because of the weather!

I initially went out with the FC100DZ to take a look at Mars. Using a pair of 25mm Parks Gold and a binoviewer with 2X barlow (129X), the limb of the planet was beautifully sharp. There was no spurious haze around it as it just hung almost 3D set against a black sky. Detail was easily seen so I decided to start a sketch, but as soon as I'd begun the view went a bit wobbly as clouds started to move in. There was still plenty of clear sky though, but it just meant being patient.  Eventually I felt that I'd managed to tease out of the image all I could see, and had a half decent sketch.

Then I turned the scope onto the Moon and spent about half an hour touring its landscape. I decided to carefully examine Mare Frigoris for rilles along its southern shore. I found two that extended from the southern shore and travelled south across the mountainous terrain towords the Alpine Valley. One terminated against a tiny bright impact crater north of the valley, while the other could be picked up again south of the valley. Elgers rille could be seen quite easily crossing the width of the valley about mid way, appearing like a N/S fine dark line, and extending both north and south both sides of the valley. I didn't notice the central rille like Stu did, but i didn't look for it. What did cross my mind though was how relatively easy these rills appear despite their distance from the terminator. Sadly play was stopped when the cloud thought i'd enjoyed myself too much, but I'd manages a pleasant 45 mins or so which is better than nothing.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 4

Not so good seeing here but C and D are quite easy in the 12" Dob. Although I could use x380 on Mars, it looked blurry on the moon and I stuck to x217. No good for some of the smaller ones.

When I get some good seeing I'm going to try to split H and the one next to it. That seems like a good test.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Not so good seeing here but C and D are quite easy in the 12" Dob. Although I could use x380 on Mars, it looked blurry on the moon and I stuck to x217. No good for some of the smaller ones.

When I get some good seeing I'm going to try to split H and the one next to it. That seems like a good test.

Good stuff. Must get my 12” up and running. Worth remembering this phase too, as it was a good illumination for seeing the Craterlets I thought, and the rille.

• Like 1

Sounds like many of us had short Lunar sessions for various reasons last night.
I got about 75 minutes, but having pulled my back was strugling.
Whisping cloud came and went in that time.
Lunar and more, but Lunar in my case was Cyclops mode as I could not be bothered to get the bino kit out.

Enjoyed myself all the same as did all of you above, which is great.

• Like 1

I too had a nice session on Plato last night..in a rush right now but will post more later today..I did catch 2 or 3 craterlets but I was plagued by floaters, even in the binoviewers 🤔..am going to arrange an eye test very soon, as I want to invest in some other Bvs..but only if my eyes can handle them..

I also badly need a new phone, as you can see!!🤦

Dave

IMG_20230102_215523864~2.jpg

IMG_20230102_215523864.jpg

I've added a 2nd image above which perhaps has slightly better contrast, and shows the valley a little better?..

Edited by F15Rules
Photo added
  • Like 4

I too had a good session on the moon last night. I saw at least one easy craterlet in Plato and was convinced others were occasionally discernible.

Hadley's Rill was very evident to the South of Hadley, but nothing to the North. At lower magnifications it appeared as a curved line. At higher magnifications I was sure I was able to see/sense the jagged turns.

Strange how simple things can fascinate but I loved the sharp triangular shadow of what must be a large mountain at Promontorium Laplace.

Like @mikeDnight, I spent a bit of time 'touring' the landscape. There was so much detail I really didn't know where to start or stop or go to next! I always mean to observe with more discipline but generally just get carried away!

I was mostly using the 100DC + Maxbrights + 1.25 GPC + 7.5mm Tak LEs which must give about x125 but seemed higher.

The big wow moment for me though was replacing the 7.5 LEs with Tak 12.5 Abbes. The decrease in magnification may have had something to do with it but wow! Never have I seen such contrast and sharpness. The moon was like an etching! Quite breathtaking.

I agree with @Stu, the Maxbrights are excellent and a joy to use.

@F15Rules, I took a couple of phone pics through the eyepiece last night. I was very pleased with them. Then I saw yours above. If you get a new phone, send me your old one 🙂 Great pic!

Interestingly I also had the Mewlon out last night and even though I think it had properly cooled, the views were not as good as with the 100DC. Other times it has provided much better views; not sure if it was the atmospherics or eyepiece/binoviewer combinations.

Malcolm

• Like 2

I'll post a new thread later rather than hijack Stu's thread, as I want to cover Lunar observing in general 😊.

Good to hear that a good few of us got out last night..it was a lovely day here, sandwiched between a dreary and wet New Year's Day, and now back to the same today. But yesterday was lovely and a sharp frost came down during the night❄️❄️.

I also tried out properly my new to me and absolutely mint Vixen 7x50 binoculars, (courtesy of Tim @Franklin), heavy things that they are, but rock solid on my Ravelli Pistol Grip mount..👍

Dave

IMG_20230102_144417502.jpg

IMG_20230102_144435992_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

I too had a good session on the moon last night. I saw at least one easy craterlet in Plato and was convinced others were occasionally discernible.

Hadley's Rill was very evident to the South of Hadley, but nothing to the North. At lower magnifications it appeared as a curved line. At higher magnifications I was sure I was able to see/sense the jagged turns.

Strange how simple things can fascinate but I loved the sharp triangular shadow of what must be a large mountain at Promontorium Laplace.

Like @mikeDnight, I spent a bit of time 'touring' the landscape. There was so much detail I really didn't know where to start or stop or go to next! I always mean to observe with more discipline but generally just get carried away!

I was mostly using the 100DC + Maxbrights + 1.25 GPC + 7.5mm Tak LEs which must give about x125 but seemed higher.

The big wow moment for me though was replacing the 7.5 LEs with Tak 12.5 Abbes. The decrease in magnification may have had something to do with it but wow! Never have I seen such contrast and sharpness. The moon was like an etching! Quite breathtaking.

I agree with @Stu, the Maxbrights are excellent and a joy to use.

@F15Rules, I took a couple of phone pics through the eyepiece last night. I was very pleased with them. Then I saw yours above. If you get a new phone, send me your old one 🙂 Great pic!

Interestingly I also had the Mewlon out last night and even though I think it had properly cooled, the views were not as good as with the 100DC. Other times it has provided much better views; not sure if it was the atmospherics or eyepiece/binoviewer combinations.

Malcolm

Very kind, Malcolm, but I know the phone is on its last legs..I've had it 3 years (Moto G8 Plus) but have dropped it several times and the screen looks like a spiders web now, and I can actually see a crack on the rear main camera lens too!🤦

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

I too had a nice session on Plato last night..in a rush right now but will post more later today..I did catch 2 or 3 craterlets but I was plagued by floaters, even in the binoviewers 🤔..am going to arrange an eye test very soon, as I want to invest in some other Bvs..but only if my eyes can handle them..

I also badly need a new phone, as you can see!!🤦

Dave

IMG_20230102_215523864~2.jpg

I can see the central rille as a bright line running along the AV Dave, so your phone isn't too bad. Not so sure about the scope though!?? I'll give you £100 for it - The scope not the phone. :biggrin: Eat plenty of pineapples, as I believe there's something in them that helps with improving vision and eliminates floaters. 🍍🍍🍍:icon_cyclops_ani:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mikeDnight said:

I can see the central rille as a bright line running along the AV Dave, so your phone isn't too bad. Not so sure about the scope though!?? I'll give you £100 for it - The scope not the phone. :biggrin: Eat plenty of pineapples, as I believe there's something in them that helps with improving vision and eliminates floaters. 🍍🍍🍍:icon_cyclops_ani:

Thanks Mike, I'll try that👍😁.

The funny thing is, all the floaters appear to me as tiny handles floating left to right and back as I move my eyes from side to side🙃:glasses12::help:.. 

2 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

Interesting! I had a look for Hadley Rille and couldn’t see more than the most obvious parts. Perhaps the seeing dropped off when I was looking for it but it’s strange because otherwise I was getting some lovely detail coming through. Glad you had a good session 👍

• Like 1

I forgot to look for the Hadley Rille!  

I had a good session also, seeing was really good (best I've seen for a while).  I don't normally go silly with the power, but was able to.  

I was able to spend considerable time on Plato, with the big 4 craterlets showing themselves.  A&B fine....C&D spotted fine but splitting them was a bit more challenging, even in excellent seeing.  Probably the mechanics of the scope (large central obstruction) at work there.  but even so, the viewing was very, very good.

Copernicus was magnificent and very sharply defined, slumped terracing, three clear peaks, plus lots of ejecta and pock-marked holes around the crater limb.   Interestingly, Eratosthenes is only a 'stones throw' from Copernicus but the shadowing there was just past the limit and the crater appeared flat and soft.  I found it interesting to learn how just a few 10's of km's can affect the view where the terminator limits are concerned.  If I was standing in Eratosthenes the sun would have been high in the sky.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Interesting! I had a look for Hadley Rille and couldn’t see more than the most obvious parts. Perhaps the seeing dropped off when I was looking for it but it’s strange because otherwise I was getting some lovely detail coming through. Glad you had a good session 👍

Potentially our definitions of detail for Hadley's Rill are different :) My novice expectations against your seasoned ones 🙂

Malcolm