Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'd like a Star Tracker please?

There does seem to be a bewildering range of trackers out there and my brain hurts trying to pick one and would very much appreciate any advice.

I would like to take landscape images, including Milkyway landscapes, some occasional telephoto images of stuff like Andromeda and other interesting subjects.

I have a MFT camera with lenses going from 7.5mm to 400mm.

I have a photographer's tripod with a self levelling head which is primarily used for video but I'm happy to adapt or change when required.

I'd also like  Tracker that is idiot proof but not so simple that I will outgrow it in one season of image taking.

Cheers 

• Like 2

Two star trackers as examples skywatcher staradventurer (needs batteries) then another example omegon mount mini track (no batteries). I've haven't personally used either and there are other makes.

Things to consider might be how long/heavy a lens or small telescope might be to ensure what you are wanting to use is within the weight capability of any mount being looked at.

If you enjoy DIY could look at making a barn door tracker for use with shorter focal length lens, I used one with a 50mm lens.

• Like 1

I have an Omegon MiniTrack 2 that I've used to good effect. I just need to carry my camera, tripod and MiniTrack.

Pros: No need to carry a battery pack to a dark sky site; get multiple "charges" by simply winding it up again; lightweight; simple; cheaper than the battery ones 

Cons: doesn't last the full hour, 45 mins more realistic; need to realign the camera to the target each time it's wound up; basic kit doesn't include a ball head for the camera, but one is necessary (in addition to the one on the tripod).

Hope that's helped. 

Mike

• Like 1

I use the Fornax Lightrack II.

Advantages are it is phenomenally accurate for tracking and very good build quality. Does NOT require guiding with a good Polar alignment. Very portable. Works with a 10000mA bank as long as you have a USB step up lead from 5.5v to 12v. You can use alternative wedges from WO for mounting to tripod and polar alignment, and put your own counterbalanced arm together (Google)

Some limitations, no go-to of course, imaging limited to 90 mins before you have to reframe about RA (easy to do though) and for telephoto lenses you will need a balance arm and counterweight.  And there are cheaper (although less well built) Chinese alternatives

I had the SWSAii before, and the Fornax absolutely smokes it. I've shot DSLR and GT71 at 320mm for 3 minute exposures unguided. Its my portable travel tracker of choice

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 2

On 02/01/2023 at 18:23, the lemming said:

There does seem to be a bewildering range of trackers out there and my brain hurts trying to pick one and would very much appreciate any advice.

I would like to take landscape images, including Milkyway landscapes, some occasional telephoto images of stuff like Andromeda and other interesting subjects.

I have a MFT camera with lenses going from 7.5mm to 400mm.

I have a photographer's tripod with a self levelling head which is primarily used for video but I'm happy to adapt or change when required.

I'd also like  Tracker that is idiot proof but not so simple that I will outgrow it in one season of image taking.

Cheers 

I do not think any tracker is "idiot proof" -  my experience is that they all need some reading the manual / watching the youtube video and practice to work 

After a trial with the clockwork Omegon star tracker (trailing stars whenever I used it) I tried to purchase the Skywatcher in 2020, but it was out of stock and so I purchased the Ioptron SkyGuider Pro. I consider myself a beginner with this lark.

The Ioptron is well made, tracks very well (I'm getting 5 minute exposure with a 20mm lens) and has an in-built rechargeable battery. 

The weak point for me was the Ioptron wedge supplied; I could not get it to lock accurately, and so invested in the William Optics wedge with the extra expense and weight.

You mention climbing in your bio, if you plan on hiking with your kit, then then think about the all in weight of your camera and tracker etc...For a MFT camera, perhaps the lightweight Move-Shoot-Move tracker promoted by Alyn Wallace might suit?

Good luck, I think once you have decided to get one, all of them on the @FLO website are great, just down to personal preference and circumstances really.

Chris

Resized3rd-blend.jpg

Best Scallop.jpg

• Like 5

With trackers and widefield it's all about location IMO. I recommend a portable set up for a darker sky location. Not so great in light polluted areas, where you start needing filters and can't get polar aligned or find targets

The iOptron as recommended by Cjg is a good place to start. For budget you'll be looking at less than $1000 to get fully set up assuming you have camera and lenses

For more serious DSO imaging I'd skip the tracker and go straight to a mount, but there's a lot to learn in that jump, and it costs more, with guiding and control etc. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

These really are spectacular images, I love the top one especially and it would proudly sit on my living room wall after the biggest enlargement possible if it was mine. 🙂 

Steve

Thank you, Steve.

That's my first "tracked" image that I am pleased with. Taken from a hilltop above a tiny fishing village on the South coast of Crete with no raods in and just a little light pollution.

Chris

• Like 1

I don't do this kind of imaging but my very expert friend Tom O'Donoghue produces land and sky images at the top of the game using a Star Adventurer and Sequator software.

I wouldn't push the focal length too far, though. 400mm is telescopic in its demands.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1