SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

COMET C/2022/ E3 (ZTF) - UPDATE

paulastro

9 hours ago, scotty1 said:

What type of tracking mount did you use HEQ5? 

And how do you get the starburst effect on the orange star is it Software?

Excuse my questions but I only have basic equipment with a static tripod and DSLR 

It is an Eq8R Pro mount. Starburst is due to the secondary vains on the newtononian telescope. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

It is an Eq8R Pro mount. Starburst is due to the secondary vains on the newtononian telescope. 

Ok thanks , I googled the mount 🙂

You've invested alot of time and money into the astronomy kit. 

Edited by scotty1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, scotty1 said:

Ok thanks , I googled the mount 🙂

You've invested alot of time and money into the astronomy kit. 

Yeah, definitely, lol. Most of my stuff is second hand but the Eq8R Pro mount is new, I thought if it's going to be the last mount I buy I'll get it, lol. 

• Like 2

On 31/01/2023 at 16:40, jamesc96 said:

Is the comet visible with the moon being what it is at the moment? Or are all these sightings after moonset.

This evening the skies have cleared for the first time in approx 10 days. Despite the moon and urban light pollution, using Capella as a signpost the comet was easily located at 2230 with the 15x70s. Although on this occasion with no visible core but a prominent elongated fuzzy around 1° in length. 

• Like 4

This evening I tried to have a go to see it with bins, but no success due to the wind, clouds and -17C temperatures which sort of dissuaded me a tad. Maybe tomorrow.

hopefully.

😞

Edited by DrMike
Spelling
  • Like 1

As mentioned above there's a clear sky edging south. I could see the comet with 10x50 bins. 

Took a few photos, but cloud is starting to develop again now. 

IMG_20230205_034142_(3000_x_2001_pixel).thumb.jpg.9214eb771c1e3a5c91458264a64db45c.jpg

7857140.thumb.jpeg.a2807793ae3e650830c0d5d91a427812.jpeg

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, scotty1 said:

Comet E3 appears near Comet U2 atlas now , if you have the dark sky and equipment as Comet C/2022 U2 atlas is Mag 16. 

Will be interesting to see if anyone captures this pairing! I've only just read about it, and wasn't planning to set up due to the full moon to be honest.

However, luckily C/2022 U2 is likely rather brighter, at mag. 11 according to the BAA page at BAA Comet section (cam.ac.uk). I successfully imaged and viewed it in late Jan, despite strong light pollution from the local football club floodlights! 😊

Regards, Mike.

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mcrowle said:

Will be interesting to see if anyone captures this pairing! I've only just read about it, and wasn't planning to set up due to the full moon to be honest.

However, luckily C/2022 U2 is likely rather brighter, at mag. 11 according to the BAA page at BAA Comet section (cam.ac.uk). I successfully imaged and viewed it in late Jan, despite strong light pollution from the local football club floodlights! 😊

Regards, Mike.

Hi Mike

Yes I've been looking at Cometwatch http://aerith.net/comet/weekly/current.html and it says  magnitude being about 10. On Stellarium it's listed as 16. 

Took a few shots earlier at 300mm , but the moon and my budget setup (DSLR and zoom lens) maybe asking a bit much.

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, scotty1 said:

Hi Mike

Yes I've been looking at Cometwatch http://aerith.net/comet/weekly/current.html and it says  magnitude being about 10. On Stellarium it's listed as 16. 

Took a few shots earlier at 300mm , but the moon and my budget setup (DSLR and zoom lens) maybe asking a bit much.

This might explain why my dad and I were struggling to see it, stellarium on mobile has it as mag 5.8, I was struggling to see the comet but mag 8, 9 stars were easy in my 10x50s tonight.

• Like 1

Observed and managed a few image's this evening before the cloud's rolled in. Still looking good with a bright coma and faint defuse tail. Moonlight interfered quite a bit. Supposed to be a better clear night tomorrow and the moon rises a little later so I'll see again. Shot of the screen attached. 

PSX_20230206_192512.jpg

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, pipnina said:

This might explain why my dad and I were struggling to see it, stellarium on mobile has it as mag 5.8, I was struggling to see the comet but mag 8, 9 stars were easy in my 10x50s tonight.

This is from mobile Android, a bit confusing really...

Screenshot_20230207-001323.thumb.png.2c63e47c0127fa8313203e9c07b69d0a.png

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 1

I looked out after my post and found a lot of cirrus cloud, as well as the full moon of course. I think E3 ZTF at around mag. 6 would be difficult enough in those conditions, never mind U2 ATLAS at mag. 11 or 12!

Regards, Mike.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mcrowle said:

However, luckily C/2022 U2 is likely rather brighter, at mag. 11...

Sorry, I had rather rushed my earlier post and it's a bit ambiguous. I meant that Comet C/2022 U2 ATLAS is perhaps brighter than predicted, not brighter than C/2022 E3 ZTF, which is nearby.

Regards, Mike.

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 1