Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

COMET C/2022/ E3 (ZTF) - UPDATE

paulastro

The one listed on sirils website is easy enough to follow. Helps if you know beforehand about doing your calibration to your images.

Also I found Adam Block's video on YT very good, he uses PI to process but he doesn't go through it as a full tutorial, just the theory step by step. If you're going to stack, at some point depending on how long you've imaged, most of the work will come from your post processing manual skills as you'll likely have to perform some sort of subtraction to the comet image to remove star trails, layer masking etc.

It was certainly an experience doing this. If you're just editing one image or a handful it's much easier.

Edited by Elp

Wonderful image Nigella!

I hoped to get a quick peek at it this morning before work, had the binoculars ready, but it was too cloudy!

Heavens Above is stay right on it with its position. 

It is really moving along now, or as we say it out in the country, "it's really scooting a boot!"!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Wonderful image Nigella!

I hoped to get a quick peek at it this morning before work, had the binoculars ready, but it was too cloudy!

It is really moving along now, or as we say it out in the country, "it's really scooting a boot!"!

Or hauling A##e as some US folks say. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Wonderful image Nigella!

Thanks, my first stacked comet image. Another stacked image from C/2022E3

1929694995_CometC2022E3ZTF-1.thumb.jpg.b636537788464f0bf7aa93abf80bd584.jpg

• Like 10

On 25/01/2023 at 22:21, happy-kat said:

DSS comet stacking does do strange things it used to work really well. SIRIL has comet stacking which is what I ended up using on neowise

Just been reading a post on gilthub and I will next DSS comet stack do the following, mark the comet on just 3 frames. Mark the first and last frame and which ever frame is chosen as the reference frame. 

• Like 1

Brightest I’ve seen it tonight in the 15 x 70 bins, and although I might be imagining it I’m sure it had a green tinge to it. A nice bright nucleus showing but still a diffuse spherical shell rather than a tail. I’d say the mag was somewhere between 5-5.5 currently. 

• Like 4

I got the 20x80 bins on it last night, I would have rolled the obsy roof back but it was blowing a gale. I must say it's incredibly well placed for Northern observers. 

• Like 2

Had a bit of a mare yesterday night looking for it through my 20x80 bins.  Eventually I got clear skies after a day of heavy cloud.  I have no idea why but I had trouble finding it, which feels utterly ridiculous to say but it was at what felt a much higher inclination than the charts suggested.  The charts were right, of course and it was my complete lack of recent practice that was the issue!  In a 'typical me' situation I ended up getting there by first finding M81/82 - but I'm strange like that.

When I actually found it, it was great and I was somewhat embarrassed that it had taken as long as it had given how obvious it is.

• Like 4

Got my first view last night since I last saw it I  early Dec. January was a near total cloudy month. It wasn't amazing visually with the moon and light pollution. But seeing it's movement at x60 and above among nearby stars over 10-15 mins was amazing.

What type of tracking mount did you use HEQ5? 

And how do you get the starburst effect on the orange star is it Software?

Excuse my questions but I only have basic equipment with a static tripod and DSLR 

• Like 1