Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

COMET C/2022/ E3 (ZTF) - UPDATE

paulastro

16 minutes ago, Sneezy24 said:

Tried that, found c/2022 e3, added it, but it still doesn't appear in the search! I quit Stellarium and reloaded it - still the same!

Try adding the comet, then save settings ( spanner/main/save settings) before exiting the prog.

• Like 1

Hmm. It worked for me on 3 machines, each running a different version of Stellarium, but I don't think any of mine are the very latest version.

You could bypass the typing of a name by going to the 'lists' tab of the search window, and selecting comet from the drop down (assuming the latest version has that !)

2 hours ago, Sneezy24 said:

Tried that, found c/2022 e3, added it, but it still doesn't appear in the search! I quit Stellarium and reloaded it - still the same!

I've found stellarium search to be a bit fussy on search terms.

Make sure the limiting magnitude for solar system objects is set faint enough. And make sure comets are selected in solar system objects.

Then just zoom scroll to the area where the comet is   currently and it should be shown. Below is the track over the next few days from SkySafari.

1236475298_Screenshot_20230125_134713_SkySafari7Pro.thumb.jpg.f0b814970e73e4cc66b6cf6bf2f45003.jpg

Edited by Paul M

1 hour ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Hmm. It worked for me on 3 machines, each running a different version of Stellarium, but I don't think any of mine are the very latest version.

You could bypass the typing of a name by going to the 'lists' tab of the search window, and selecting comet from the drop down (assuming the latest version has that !)

Thanks, search in 'list' worked!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sneezy24 said:

Bizarrely,  the Stellarium mobile (Android) version found it straight away!

Unless they're back in the same stable, stellarium proper and stellarium mobile diverged and the app was then developed independantly. That was some years ago so they likely share little if any DNA now.

• Thanks 1

Can anyone comment please. If I've attempted imaging it, and I've been tracking for an hour and the stars have hardly moved (like, almost not at all), when I've stacked the images I've got this terrible almost looks like walking noise of some stars all over the image, but the field hasn't moved. There's great detail in the comet but overlaid with this issue. What could cause this? (Haven't got an image to upload yet as not on computer atm).

23 minutes ago, Elp said:

Can anyone comment please. If I've attempted imaging it, and I've been tracking for an hour and the stars have hardly moved (like, almost not at all), when I've stacked the images I've got this terrible almost looks like walking noise of some stars all over the image, but the field hasn't moved. There's great detail in the comet but overlaid with this issue. What could cause this? (Haven't got an image to upload yet as not on computer atm).

Did you stack the stars or the comet? Shawn Nielson over on Visible Dark has a tutorial on YT check that out. I had the same issue though as I was shooting mono when stacking the comet that had moved so when combining RGB it was an utter mess. When removing the stars it left RGB streaks you have to play with pixel rejection. It’s not easy, but check out the above it may help 

• Thanks 1

I imaged this a few nights ago on 23 Jan 2023 with my Canon 600D + manual Nikkor 180mm ED F2.8 lens riding unguided on my SA Mount. It is a stack of 15 x 2 mins, double stacked for comet and pinpoint stars. I didn't capture the ion tail, but the ante tail is well seen. M102 also put in an appearance to the right of the tail.

Comet-C2022-E3-(ZTF)_IP(V2-crop).thumb.jpg.df3a74e8c8ccd5b6612138181bab3607.jpg

Last night was cloudy with rain all evening, then just before I went to bed around midnight I popped out and the sky had cleared, so I grabbed a couple of pairs of binos, to take a look at the comet. It has definitrely brightened over the past few days, being an easy target in both the 8x40s and 15x70s, with a hint of the broad dust tail showing in the latter. Once I got the location I even felt that I could catch a glimpse of it with naked eye averted vision, but it was close to the 4.6 mag star RR Uma (as seen in @Nigella Bryant lovely image), so I may have been fooled by that. I will keep checking over the coming nights to see if I can confirm whether it has become naked eye visual.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 13

I used Sky Safari on my phone.

Manually entered the RA and Dec into Asi Air Pro and bingo. Pretty much dead center on go to

Couldn't get guiding to calibrate close to the pole, so walking noise (or DSS stacking maybe..). Will read up to see what calibration settings to use.  

C 2022 E3 aff.jpg

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 5

On 26/01/2023 at 00:21, happy-kat said:

DSS comet stacking does do strange things it used to work really well. SIRIL has comet stacking which is what I ended up using on neowise

How did you do that in Siril Kat? I assume manual preprocessing.. do you have a link to an idiots guide?