Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 Andromeda

scotty38

I took these images about 10 days ago but had been struggling to get any colour at all. I've just had another play with it using a few extra processes that are new to me including ArcsinhStretch and LocalHistogramEquilization. No BlurXTerminator though 🤣 🤣

This is just the RGB but I have some L and Ha to add to it at some point. It's not as vivid as some I've found on Astrobin but it's an improvement on my first few efforts.....

M31.thumb.jpg.47f5b65e31ac393d89831d80d2ef9d2c.jpg

• Like 14

I like the image and for just the colour component, it could pass as a completed image!

My only comment would be that the background has a green cast. I imported into Photoshop and using the colour sampling tool, typical background numbers were RGB: 31:41:30. Correcting the colour balance gives an even more pleasing image..

Adrian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CCD Imager said:

I like the image and for just the colour component, it could pass as a completed image!

My only comment would be that the background has a green cast. I imported into Photoshop and using the colour sampling tool, typical background numbers were RGB: 31:41:30. Correcting the colour balance gives an even more pleasing image..

Adrian

I must admit I'd not noticed but now you mention it...

Is this one better, certainly seems to have removed the green in a side by side comparison?

M31a.thumb.jpg.13eb21c57e0a56157a4f7c9d709133a2.jpg

• Like 5

Yes, background is virtually neutral black now, measuring in Photoshop reveals an RGB of 36:37:38

Sometimes our minds and eyes play tricks on us, especially after processing images for hours on end. Always a good idea to measure the background to check for neutrality, be it in Photoshop, Pixy or whatever.

Now looks a very decent image

Adrian

• Like 2

The truth is that M31 does not contain strongly contrasting colours. When you see strong dstinctions between reddish core and blue-ish spiral arms with patches of Ha, this is not false, it's just exaggerated or emphasized.

Olly

• Like 1

Hi Olly

I see this a lot with processed galaxy images, the blue in particular is emphasized beyond natural. Modern manipulation with colour masks to enhance colours has let some too loose! Its good to see Pixinsight develop their colour celibatarian tools, the latest being SPCC to keep balance in check.

Adrian

• Like 1