Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

JAN 1ST - URANUS OCCULTATION BY THE MOON

paulastro

18 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Totally clouded out here in Derby i'm afraid 🔭👎🏼☹️

I doubt many will see this tonight, can just about see the moon through the cloud here in Staffordshire 😅

Well I managed to see the Uranus Occultation, but only just..

Out by 10.05 and I could see the Moon well enough, through varying thicknesses of cloud. No sign of Uranus though! Using the 8inch Starsense Dob, it wasn't until 10.14 it popped into view, though only for a couple of minutes. A lovely light green disc to my eyes. I was lucky, as it came back into view about a minute before it was due to be occultated. After a minute or it went behind the dark limb of the Moon - phew, a close call. Almost immediately the cloud thickened and the Moon itself was completely hidden from view.

I waited for the reappearance, but although I could see the Moon's limb, the cloud was too thick to see Uranus. Still, perhaps I was being too greedy expecting to see both phases of the occultation .

• Like 1