Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Converting Skywatcher EQ3-2 Pro to AltAZ for binocular use.

altoflute

Hi everyone.

I have a pair of very heavy Quantum binoculars.   I also have several very heavy tough Manfrotto camera tripods.  Needless to say they are useless for 7 Kilo binoculars!

I also have an EQ3-2 Pro mount with the lighter aluminium legs, but this holds my 120 refractor with four place eyepiece turret no problem.

I got to thinking this would make a brilliant goto binocular mount.    Investigasion shows that it will allow the RA axis to set vertical.   But the problem is the hand controller only shows equatorial setup in the menus.

I also have a Skywatcher EQ6 AZ which works both equatorially and as an altaz mount.  That is set up with other scopes so is not available.   BUT, because the hand controller for that mount allows both equatorial and AZ in the setup menu, I wondered if I could use that controller.

The question I have is:  is the software controlling the equatorial/AZ setup in the hand controller or in the mount electronics.    I could try it but I'm worried I may blow something in either the hand controller or the mount - I doubt it but wondered if anyone knew the truth!

Any help would be gratefully received.

On start up the handset interrogates the mount to see if the mount is either eq or az. In the case of the EQ6 AZ the mount gives both options and the user sets the mount type (EQ or AZ) in the handset. The EQ3-2 is equatorial so you only have that option and the handset automatically loads up the alignment routine for eq mounts. Nothing will get damaged if you use the EQ6AZ handset with the EQ3-2, they both use the same firmware, you will just get the eq mode.