Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion and his neighbours

Kon

It has been a rather long time since I did a proper DSO observing due to planetary imaging in recent months. I managed a fantastic 2 hour session after the moon had set last night and before the clouds rolled in. After coming back from dinner with the family, my wife and 5 year old daughter wanted to see the moon and my 7 year old son Orion's nebula. In the end the kids were happy running around the garden with a torch that they found in the kitchen and chasing each other.

After they all went to bed, I had my night vision back 🤣For the rest of the night, I used my 8" Dob with and without my OIII filter and most of the night with the ES24mm 68 degree eyepiece. Transparency looked excellent with many stars lighting the night sky. The aim of the night was to look some of my favourite nebulas with the aim of catching the Horse Head at the end when I would be properly dark adapted. I started with NGC2169 and worked my way upwards. The cluster showed the '37'. NGC2175 showed some faint extended nebulosity with the OIII. Not much structure to it. M35 and NGC2158 showed really nice almost getting them in the same FOV (by missing a few stars on either side). M35 was showing nice distinct stars with some nice yellows. IC444 showed some nice nebulosity although with averted vision. IC443 is just huge and although I could see it , it felt underwhelming as i had to pan around to find the darker edges without nebula. Due to the season, I could not miss the Christmas Tree Cluster  and the Cone nebula (NGC2264). I had previously failed to see any nebulosity but I could make some very weak one around the stars this time, quite exciting! I finished in that area with NGC2238. Again huge but with the OIII it was easy to make the central 'empty' donut (no nebulosity) and the surrounding with clear edges from the darker sky. A quick hop onto M1 and it was showing some nice nebulosity although I could not make any of the filaments with or without the OIII. I preferred the views without it. I finally moved to Orion. I started with M78 and NGC2071. Both showing nice and 'bright' without a filter.  A jumped to M42 and it was mesmerising as always. I could make the wings extending all the way to the edge of the eyepiece. It was showing some deep reds where the nebulosity around the trapezium was a teal like colour with pinkish edges. That's usually a good cue that transparency is excellent. The Runnig Man was also nice and bright. NGC1999 could also be seen with averted vision. I  finally moved to Altinak and the Flame was observable without a filter, another good sign of transparency. Using my H beta it popped brighter. NGC2023 nebula was also visible with direct vision and I could easily make the edges of the nebula running down to HD37806. And there it was a piece of nebula missing from it the size of a thumb on the left of my eyepiece (Dob view). That did really make my night. By the end, clouds started rolling in and I had to call the night. I now remember why I love my nebulas. This is a quick photo grab of my back garden skies.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5e314419e51f555ef3a0db2e6102925.jpeg

Edited by Kon
  • Like 15

Yeah nice report, really enjoyed reading that 🙂 I was also out observing roughly the same patch of sky, with the same eyepiece! M37, M36, M38, M1, M42, rounded off with a Mars sketch. Good shout about the 37 cluster, I have added that to my list for next time!

Which specific H Beta filter do you use? I'm impressed to hear you saw the HH with an 8 inch, I was always under the impression it needed something bigger even with the H Beta filter. Would love to see that myself one day (or night even 😁)

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Neil_104 said:

Yeah nice report, really enjoyed reading that 🙂 I was also out observing roughly the same patch of sky, with the same eyepiece! M37, M36, M38, M1, M42, rounded off with a Mars sketch. Good shout about the 37 cluster, I have added that to my list for next time!

Which specific H Beta filter do you use? I'm impressed to hear you saw the HH with an 8 inch, I was always under the impression it needed something bigger even with the H Beta filter. Would love to see that myself one day (or night even 😁)

Thanks. Nice to know that others were also getting some nice skies last night. You got some nice targets as well.

I have an Explore Scientific filter. My skies are fairly dark, bortle 3, but transparency is key and having all the signs I mentioned give you a good chance to see the HH. I have seen reports of others seeing it with even smaller aperture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Cracking report.  You are doing little to disuade me from buying a dob.  At the moment it's a dead heat for my 40th next year between bino viewers and a Dob, but reading this the Dob has nosed ahead.

Thanks. I will make your life easier. Don't get an 8", get a 10"! 🤣. Honestly, best purchase ever and it's also great for planetary imaging. It's also fantastic for observing galaxies.

1 hour ago, josefk said:

Since it’s been probably a fortnight since I’ve been able to get out - I have really enjoyed your observations and descriptions this morning as the “next best thing”. Thanks. 

Thank you. It was great to have a nice little session as it is pouring down with rain since then .

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Epick Crom said:

Wonderful report Kostas! I'm glad you got to observe a lot of nebulae, I know they are your favourite. Wishing you clear skies.

Thanks Joe. I hope you are managing some good sessions in your Australian summer nights.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks Joe. I hope you are managing some good sessions in your Australian summer nights.

Hi Kostas. Yes I am currently enjoying the west Australian summer, it is our clear sky season, unlike the east coast. I have been observing every night, not a cloud to be seen! I will post an observation report soon. All the best for 2023!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Epick Crom said:

Hi Kostas. Yes I am currently enjoying the west Australian summer, it is our clear sky season, unlike the east coast. I have been observing every night, not a cloud to be seen! I will post an observation report soon. All the best for 2023!

^^^^Jealous^^^^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Epick Crom said:

Looking forward to it. We have had an awful wet winter this year.

• Sad 1

Just now, Kon said:

3 but transparency is key. How about your skies?

Bortle 5 unfortunately, but I have recently gained access to bortle 3 skies which I am going to make the most of. Hopefully this will increase my chances. Should I be using a H beta filter straight from the go? Thanks 

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Bortle 5 unfortunately, but I have recently gained access to bortle 3 skies which I am going to make the most of. Hopefully this will increase my chances. Should I be using a H beta filter straight from the go? Thanks 

You will really enjoy your new darker skies. I wrote this last year when I first show the HH with some of the tips I had found from other reports and online and I used in observing it:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/388643-horse-head-nebula-barnard-33/#comment-4192376

But yes you will need the H beta from Flame onwards.

• Thanks 1