Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with choosing my first scope

18 minutes ago, Blueearthling said:

Hi, can a hershel solar wedge be used with a schmidt cassegrain?

Thanks.

Herschel wedges should be used with certain types of refractor telescope. SCTs and MCTs are a closed system which can cause a big build up of heat within the telescope tube if a front mounted solar filter is not used, potentially damaging/ruining/destroying the telescope.

• Thanks 1

On 10/03/2023 at 15:41, Blueearthling said:

Hi, can a hershel solar wedge be used with a schmidt cassegrain?

Thanks.

No! 

Simply put, it would 'overheat' :blob8: the tube and damage the corrector plate :Envy: ... and for Maksutov's the adhesive/glue for the baffle on the secondary mirror will soften and fall off... then there is the residue to clean up:brushteeth:off the meniscus cell and primary mirror... :crybaby2: 

Edited by Philip R
  • Thanks 1

My two cents worth is to pass on the 150mm Heritage and get yourself the 6”(150mm) Ursa Major dobsonian from First Light Optics. It’s a full size dobsonian and a solid tube so no light ingress or shrouds to make. It also has a proper CNC focuser rather than a plastic helical focuser which I found pretty poor. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Blueearthling said:

I've already got a nexstar 6se. What are my best options? Will it be possible to observe solar flares? I'd like an orange colour rather than white.

You can buy a ready-made full aperture filter for the 6 SE, for observing in white light.

To observe flares you need a narrowband filter. If you want to use the 6 SE you will need a full aperture energy-reduction filter and a narrowband filter. It might be easier to just buy a solar scope made for the purpose (wallet warning ☹️). 

• Thanks 1

You will need 3 elements to successfully and safely view hydrogen-alpha details including flares on the Sun.  They are an energy rejection filter, a hydrogen-alpha etalon and a narrow band blocking filter.  Collectively they will cost more than the telescope!     🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1