SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Barnard 150 - Seahorse in Cepheus

tooth_dr

I spent a few nights collecting data on this stunning dark nebula in Cepheus.

The data taken over several evening sessions - 20th November, 28th November, 11th December, 12th December, 13th December, 15th December.  Varying moon phases between unrisen and 88%.

Scopes: 2 x APM LZOS 105/650

Cameras: 268M / 2600MC

Mount: Mesu e200

Guiding: OAG / 290MM

Acquisition: SG Pro / PHD2

Misc: Pegasus Power Box Advance / Atik EFW3 / ZWO Filter Drawer

I used a total of 11.1 hours of luminance and 8.3 hours of OSC data taken with 268M and 2600MC.  In addition I also took 50 minutes of Ha data with 3nm Chroma filter.  Total integration time approx 20 hours.

Stacked in APP, processed using Pixinsight, ImagesPlus and Photoshop 2023.

This might be the first image I've sat back and looked at and been genuinely quite satisfied.   I even used PI for a couple of things, and it's finally starting to sink in.

Any C+C welcome

Adam.

B150-A.thumb.jpg.8fa6adc9f000b6d856a900644fc5d8ee.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 47

14 minutes ago, Neil_104 said:

That's a superb image! It's got superb depth to it. Really nice star colours as well - what length were your subs?

Thanks Neil. 2 minutes for both the luminance and the OSC. The few ha subs were 5 minutes long. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is an outstanding image Adam. Great subtlety of processing has revealed an intriguing object in perfect balance with the background star field. Star shapes and colours are excellent across the whole field of view - your twin scopes are doing an amazing job. As you’ve rightly pointed out, patience is the name of the game in AP! Glad to hear you’ve crossed the rubicon with PI too - patience and persistence pays off in every aspect and it shows in this fantastic image. Thanks for sharing. Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Typo
  • Like 1

Fantastic image Adam.  Well worth every hour spent (both collecting and processing!).  Not going easy on yourself with some challenging moon phases in there too :) 

11 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

This might be the first image I've sat back and looked at and been genuinely quite satisfied.

It's a great feeling.  I think some of us tend to be overly critical of our own images where we might not be of others so it's nice when the above happens! 😊

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 29/12/2022 at 23:10, tooth_dr said:

I spent a few nights collecting data on this stunning dark nebula in Cepheus.

The data taken over several evening sessions - 20th November, 28th November, 11th December, 12th December, 13th December, 15th December.  Varying moon phases between unrisen and 88%.

Scopes: 2 x APM LZOS 105/650

Cameras: 268M / 2600MC

Mount: Mesu e200

Guiding: OAG / 290MM

Acquisition: SG Pro / PHD2

Misc: Pegasus Power Box Advance / Atik EFW3 / ZWO Filter Drawer

I used a total of 11.1 hours of luminance and 8.3 hours of OSC data taken with 268M and 2600MC.  In addition I also took 50 minutes of Ha data with 3nm Chroma filter.  Total integration time approx 20 hours.

Stacked in APP, processed using Pixinsight, ImagesPlus and Photoshop 2023.

This might be the first image I've sat back and looked at and been genuinely quite satisfied.   I even used PI for a couple of things, and it's finally starting to sink in.

Any C+C welcome

Adam.

B150-A.thumb.jpg.8fa6adc9f000b6d856a900644fc5d8ee.jpg

@tooth_dr Incredibly detailed, colour and contrast rich, stunning image! This has to be one the best DSO images I've seen to date! 

May I ask, what Bortle scale you achieved this in? Utterly stunning image my friend!

15 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

@tooth_dr Incredibly detailed, colour and contrast rich, stunning image! This has to be one the best DSO images I've seen to date! 

May I ask, what Bortle scale you achieved this in? Utterly stunning image my friend!

Thank you so much, really appreciate it. I took this from home, it’s a decent Bortle 4 I’d say. On a good night the sky is strikingly beautiful.