SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Controversial, "I don't get buying lot's of eyepieces."

Nigella Bryant

When I first started with the ETX90, I had 2 Eps and a 2x barlow and they covered most of the bases (and still do as a grab and go or holiday 'scope).

Now however, although I don't have loads of eps, I do have more than 3! I find it depends on what I am looking at and the conditions.

At high magnification, you can never have too many, because the small difference in focal length can lead to a large difference in magnification.

Some nights on the planets I've been able to use the 6mm for fantastic views.

Other nights I have to drop back a mm or two (or more) to get a clear image.

The moon will take even more magnification to the point that the floaters get in the way!

The longer focal length eps I tend to use for the deep sky objects.

I like framing an object in it's surrounding sky, rather than going for as much magnification as possible.

I don't need as many at this end, but it's handy to have a spare or two if you are using filters.

I use one for star hopping to an object and then swap to the filtered ep for the better view (or any view at all with some objects!).

My ep numbers have grown a bit with the slow migration to 82º eps for wider field views and longer drift time.

The others haven't gone because I use them in school where we might have several 'scopes all needing eps.

Just my tuppence. :)

• Like 2

My collection is duplicated because I have a Binoviewer, but I keep changing makers to see (forgive me the pun) if their advertising matches the real view, so far the most I have been impressed with is my Takahashi diagonal! I actually said wow! When I viewed through it.

I’m gonna throw a spanner in your work, how many cameras do you have? Eh?

chaz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chaz2b said:

My collection is duplicated because I have a Binoviewer, but I keep changing makers to see (forgive me the pun) if their advertising matches the real view, so far the most I have been impressed with is my Takahashi diagonal! I actually said wow! When I viewed through it.

I’m gonna throw a spanner in your work, how many cameras do you have? Eh?

chaz

Already said I've more cameras than eyepieces, lol, but then it's only five. Two mono for solar, two colour for night's and one for guiding. All used depending on day or night observing. 

4 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

how many cameras do you have

Way too many non-astro cameras.  Most aren't worth selling because they're hopelessly obsolete.  I have donated a few to my son's friend who likes photography, but is a college student without spare cash.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2023 at 01:24, Louis D said:

Way too many non-astro cameras.  Most aren't worth selling because they're hopelessly obsolete.  I have donated a few to my son's friend who likes photography, but is a college student without spare cash.

Very admirable of you sir. I’ve always said giving is just as rewarding as receiving.

chaz

• Like 1

On 16/01/2023 at 01:24, Louis D said:

I went through a flash photography phase in about 2007 and bought loads of cheap SLRs to harvest lenses from.  Finally getting them out of the house.

Turns out the manual film cameras hold their value a lot better than the DSLRs!  Not getting rid of the fg-20 though.  It looks too nice.

I found a good START was to buy (in stages even!) a Baader Hyperion series: 5, 8, 13, 21mm
(or their Vixen predecessors). The Fibonacci series... The Golden Ratio... appealed to me. lol.
If you have more/less money "root two (1.4)" or "root three (1.7)" might be another idea? 😛

Coming from a "science background" (Don't worry, I have forgotten almost ALL of it now!)?
But then I sometimes find Amateur Astronomer debates about STUFF slightly scary? lol.
Then we commend ourselves for showing "admirable restraint"? [teasing] 🤣

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 1