SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bino Session - 4 April 2009

Hi there - very clear sky last night. Good transparent conditions with seeing fair. Great views of Pleiades, Double Cluster, Hyades.

The real highlight of the night was being able to see Ludwig's Star, the one that lies beside Mizar and Alcor.

It was possible to see the third star clearly, but it was very faint. A real treat in the 9x63 binos. This is the first time I've seen this with binoculars.

Hope you all had a good evening.

Ed

Hi Mick - thanks! I have to say I was a bit taken aback as well. I had to go back and have two or three looks, but it was definitely as described! I was very impressed, needless to say, with the binos. The sky was very good, low LP, and quite dark. I would love to use this pair of binos at a really dark site. I think the views would be awesome.

Ed

Sounds like you have a quality pair of 9x63's there "Ed." What make are they by the way? Also, are they the standard "ZCF" sort of shape (like the Lidl 10x50's), or are they the long barrelled "roof prism" type?

With you saying that they're so good, I think many others might be interseted in getting themselves a similar pair.

Regards,

philsail1

Hi Phil - I bought these off SGL because I wanted to try a bigger pair of binos (aperture-wise). I've been using the Meade/Lidl 10x50s for a while, however, a step-up to 63 or 70mm seemed necessary to get more deep sky work going.

I don't know much about them but they are Meade 9x63mm, roof prism type. They are easy to handle even though somewhat bigger in physical size than the 50s.

This looks like a fair review, but I can't be sure the model is exactly the same.

Meade 9x63 - IceInSpace

Hope that helps.

Ed

Archived