Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece wear and tear - what causes this?

Giles_B

I don't often buy used astro gear from eBay - its often not been cared for well - but this doesn't stop me browsing incessantly, and this nagler caught my eye. More specifically, the wear by the objective intrigued me - it looks like the blacking has started to peel off.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.169594c688d005ffc46c79c593176174.jpg

The full ad is here; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284964073292?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=49OMbyrJSom&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=PC3vhF5hRE2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

What causes this? Manhandling? Or does this just happen after a few years of normal use? If so, is it avoidable?

Edited by Giles_B

Peeling off is possible, but it may also indicate that the eyepiece has been taken apart sometime during its life. I've never personally seen the paint on a Nagler fail. However, if the eyepiece is sound, its very easy to rectify either with carefully applied camera black paint or stove paint, or an easier and safer option may be to touch it up with an indelible felt tip pen.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Giles_B said:

I don't often buy used astro gear from eBay - its often not been cared for well - but this doesn't stop me browsing incessantly, and this nagler caught my eye. More specifically, the wear by the objective intrigued me - it looks like the blacking has started to peel off.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.169594c688d005ffc46c79c593176174.jpg

The full ad is here; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284964073292?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=49OMbyrJSom&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=PC3vhF5hRE2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

What causes this? Manhandling? Or does this just happen after a few years of normal use? If so, is it avoidable?

It looks like there is evidence the lower retaining ring was loosened and retightened with a tool that had blades wider than the slots in the retaining ring.

And that caused the scuffing on the paint.

However, I'm a bit concerned about the stuff on the lens right inside the retaining ring.  Either the lens is filthy or, maybe, the same tool that chipped the paint scratched the lens as the ring was tightened.

I hope not, and that it cleans right off with a cotton swab and some alcohol.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, that's very enlightening - and an insight into the perils of eBay. I'm assuming the lens in a Nagler is unlikely to come loose, so presumably the eyepiece being taken apart is in itself a bit of a red flag inasmuch as it's been done either to treat fungus, or remove abnormal deposits of dirt or moisture from inside etc. etc.

Just now, Franklin said:

I handle all my gear with same care and attention you would have when holding a new born child!

Uh, no. A Nagler is replaceable.

However, as others have said, the EP looks like it's been taken apart with very little care.

I'd have to ask the seller why, before even thinking of purchasing it.

There's a good reason it's at a knock down price.

• Like 1

Looks to me very suspicious,  the missing paint makes a neat-ish circular pattern. I'd say the lower retaining ring has been tightened with the wrong tool, reason unknown. Who knows what else but I can't equate it to "marks from use". Avoid!

3 hours ago, Franklin said:

It amazes me how some folk are willing to spend top dollar on high end equipment and then not look after it correctly. I handle all my gear with same care and attention you would have when holding a new born child!

As is noted on one of their other listings, they are not a telescope buff! This is someone buying second-hand (possibly auction or house clearance) and then selling on. 

They have separate listings for an ETX 125 OTA, ETX forks and tripod which come to around £700. That's with no accessories and with the handset already sold. Seems to be randomly pricing some items!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Having looked at that ad on eBay, I now get email prompts from eBay about it 👎🏻

yeah its good at that unfortunately, same with some other sites too.

From every other angle that EP doesn't look too bad but it could have been opened up. One reason might be because someone got carried away cleaning and sprayed the stuff onto the lens of course, so had to to wipe away what leaked behind but that's just a guess. 

I've been passed a fair few eyepieces over the years that have been opened up for whatever reason. They all have similar marks. Sometimes the lens groups have been reassembled in the wrong order, and refitting resolves this, sometimes the damage is worse. Without looking through it, you won't know.

Question is, is it worth it to you? I wouldn't take unless it's free😁.

Haha! Just looked at the advert! £160? Really? Pass.

Edited by Roy Challen

On 29/12/2022 at 08:08, JeremyS said:

Having looked at that ad on eBay, I now get email prompts from eBay about it 👎🏻

Always browse in private/incognito/InPrivate mode while not being logged in.  That way, no cookies get deposited on your computer long term.  If you were logged into ebay, you're out of luck.  It also prevents cross-site snooping by websites.

• Like 1