Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ngc 7331

Rodd

Revisiting old data armed with Blur exterminator.  It is supposed to be used in the linear state, but I can never reprocess images to the same point.  The smallest differences are apparent. So I have been trying it on processed images. Sometimes it works great none the less. 
C11Edge with .7x reducer and asi 1600. About 18 hours. Bin 2  I know background is too dark  that’s because my screen is very bright so it happens.  I will see about correcting it  

80F9C6D8-D90A-4F65-963F-B632530057EA.thumb.jpeg.fe753bd610502ac639592ef739240b2c.jpeg

• Like 18

Great image, Rodd.

33 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I can never reprocess images to the same point.

If you do all your process steps in PI, you can simply apply the process history of one image to another image. You can deactivate any processes that you don't want to apply to the second image. That should give identical images apart from the steps that were unique to each image.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Great image, Rodd.

If you do all your process steps in PI, you can simply apply the process history of one image to another image. You can deactivate any processes that you don't want to apply to the second image. That should give identical images apart from the steps that were unique to each image.

I obviously don’t know how to use Pi very well!  That sounds good. However, if I have a processing list for an image and deactivate, say the 7th step, the 8th step and all subsequent steps will not be the same as they will be executed  on a different image (the image without step 7). Anyway, how do you do it—through process history?  How do you turn a step off?

Suppose you want to do one copy of an image (A) with noise reduction just before stretching, and another (B) without. You process A all the way. Then you open its history and pull the triangle in History Explorer (tab) onto the workspace. It will show as a process container icon. Open this icon and double click on the check mark to the left of the noise reduction step you wish to omit. Then drag the open container (triangle) on to image B. All steps except the deactivated noise reduction, will be applied to image B, including any masks. Obviously, if you omit or change a step that has a profound effect on the image, such as stretching or color saturation, the final image will be different. But you can use this method to use a sequence of identical processing steps to several images. So you could process one copy with BXT, and another without deconvolution (or with classic deconvolution), and have all the process steps identical, except for deconvolution.

You can also open any process with the settings you used for an image by double clicking that process in the history explorer. Suppose you have an RGB master and a luminance master. You have applied DBE to the RGB image, and you want to use the same samples for your luminance. You have the luminance image window active. Then you open the history for the RGB image, and you double click its DBE process step. DBE will open and fill the luminance master with the same samples placement you had for the RGB image. This is very handy if the images contain a lot of nebulosity and/or stars, and sample placement is tricky.

Btw, make it a habit to save your images as part of a project. This will save the complete process history for all image versions and masks. It makes it a lot easier if you want to reprocess images later on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

Suppose you want to do one copy of an image (A) with noise reduction just before stretching, and another (B) without. You process A all the way. Then you open its history and pull the triangle in History Explorer (tab) onto the workspace. It will show as a process container icon. Open this icon and double click on the check mark to the left of the noise reduction step you wish to omit. Then drag the open container (triangle) on to image B. All steps except the deactivated noise reduction, will be applied to image B, including any masks. Obviously, if you omit or change a step that has a profound effect on the image, such as stretching or color saturation, the final image will be different. But you can use this method to use a sequence of identical processing steps to several images. So you could process one copy with BXT, and another without deconvolution (or with classic deconvolution), and have all the process steps identical, except for deconvolution.

You can also open any process with the settings you used for an image by double clicking that process in the history explorer. Suppose you have an RGB master and a luminance master. You have applied DBE to the RGB image, and you want to use the same samples for your luminance. You have the luminance image window active. Then you open the history for the RGB image, and you double click its DBE process step. DBE will open and fill the luminance master with the same samples placement you had for the RGB image. This is very handy if the images contain a lot of nebulosity and/or stars, and sample placement is tricky.

Btw, make it a habit to save your images as part of a project. This will save the complete process history for all image versions and masks. It makes it a lot easier if you want to reprocess images later on.

I should save as projects more often, but find it annoying yo save projects.  It takes a long time to save and half the stuff that is saved I don’t need.  Any, it’s kind of like a dog in a box of chocolates (very bad by the way), they eat until it’s gone—there is no saving for later.  When I process, the world melts away and I am in it until done.  Sometimes that takes many hours with long sojourned down dead end alleys. In those cases the project would be cumbersome. Maybe if I was used to it it would not be an issue. I just never got in the habit 

5 hours ago, Rodd said:

In those cases the project would be cumbersome.

The first time you save a project, it takes a long time, because everything is saved. But when you save the same project again, PI knows what was altered and only updates those images. It saves faster. And btw, disabling saving previews also saves time and hard disk space.

As an alternative, you can just save process histories as process containers. Just pull an image's history to the workspace and save the icon. Next time you can load the icon to use on another version of the image. And by double clicking on a process step in a process container, you load that process with your own presets.

8 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Lovely atmospheric rendition. Good core, too. It's a very bright one and hard to handle.

Olly

Thanks Olly.  Yes, this one is often portrayed in fuzzy fashion-I have always suspected because of the brightness. What do you mean by “atmospheric”?