Narrowband

Good choice for a first reflector? Vixen R200SS?

I'm thinking of getting a fastish Newtonian and quite like the look of the Vixen R200SS. Seems to have good optics, holds collimation well, getting the focuser set up with a coma corrector and adapters for imaging appears to be a pit of a pain though.  

I have a SXD2 mount which should be able to handle it no issue unless it's windy. It would effectively double the focal length of my current set up (90mm f6 with 0.8 reducer at 420mm)

I know you can get cheaper Newtonians but I've been very impressed with the quality and performance of my Vixen mount, so there's a bit of brand allegiance here ;)

Any users and how does it perform for imaging?

I have looked at it myself before and seen a lot of people complain about the super-strong diffraction spikes (you can see in the pics of the scope that those spider supports are very thick!). But if you like strong spikes you might consider that a positive.

I think vixen are quite highly regarded so the optics are likely very good. However: I don't have much more knowledge about them sadly as it's not a popular model!

I do know that the TS carbon tube scopes are highly regarded for imaging: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6119_TS-Optics-8--f-4-ONTC-Carbon-Tube-Newtonian-telescope---fully-customizable.html

A bit expensive though, but I don't know how it compares in price to the vixen. I would personally avoid reflector greater than 6" unless they're of a premium (vixen, TS ONTC, etc) as my own experience shows they do not hold collimation at all. My 8" TS PHOTON was atrocious, but my cheaper built 130PDS was rock solid, for example.

Hope you find the one that's right for you, and I hope this helps!

11 hours ago, pipnina said:

I have looked at it myself before and seen a lot of people complain about the super-strong diffraction spikes (you can see in the pics of the scope that those spider supports are very thick!). But if you like strong spikes you might consider that a positive.

I think vixen are quite highly regarded so the optics are likely very good. However: I don't have much more knowledge about them sadly as it's not a popular model!

I do know that the TS carbon tube scopes are highly regarded for imaging: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6119_TS-Optics-8--f-4-ONTC-Carbon-Tube-Newtonian-telescope---fully-customizable.html

A bit expensive though, but I don't know how it compares in price to the vixen. I would personally avoid reflector greater than 6" unless they're of a premium (vixen, TS ONTC, etc) as my own experience shows they do not hold collimation at all. My 8" TS PHOTON was atrocious, but my cheaper built 130PDS was rock solid, for example.

Hope you find the one that's right for you, and I hope this helps!

Thanks Pipnina. The spider vanes are pretty thick, I see some owners have milled them down but that seems a bit of a headache

The TS ONTC appeals but once you add on all the parts it gets expensive fast. I have had a couple of TS scopes though (live in Europe) and generally happy with their products.  I like the look of the f5 series, should be easier to correct, focus and keep in order

Cheers!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JeremyS said:

When the mirror needs recoating it has to be sent back to Vixen in Japan. Reason is the coating forms part of the final figure. Beware especially in used models in case they have been conventionally recoated.

Thanks Jeremy. I'd be buying new if I decide to get one. The figure is reportedly pretty good on these, and I know a couple of owners with 10+ year old models that are still going strong. The pros and cons.. 

12 hours ago, 900SL said:

I've been very impressed with the quality and performance of my Vixen mount, so there's a bit of brand allegiance here ;)

Nothing wrong with that.

12 hours ago, pipnina said:

Very popular in Japan.

Vixen have been producing excellent equipment since 1949 and their prices are quite reasonable in their domestic market. Their global distribution network however, is some what lacking and this means getting hold of Vixen gear outside of Japan can become expensive.

6 hours ago, 900SL said:

Thanks Pipnina. The spider vanes are pretty thick, I see some owners have milled them down but that seems a bit of a headache

The TS ONTC appeals but once you add on all the parts it gets expensive fast. I have had a couple of TS scopes though (live in Europe) and generally happy with their products.  I like the look of the f5 series, should be easier to correct, focus and keep in order

Cheers!

Orion Optics make the CT8, which is f4.5, carbon tube and still cheaper than the vixen, I have hard of people getting good results with these, but I am not an orion optics connoisseur so sadly I can't give first-hand impressions 😕

I have looked for the vixen and it seems like it could be out to cost you about £1600-1700 already, so the Orion option is most likely cheaper. The TS I can see is probably more expensive as you say however, but from what I hear the TS ONTC scopes and the Orion AGs are about as good as it gets for newtonian imagers.

IMO it's a choice between the vixen, which you know will have excellent optics and rigidity but also have very very chunky diffraction spikes, against the more expensive TS ONTC and the cheaper Orion CT. I might be missing a brand somewhere but afaik mid-high end newtonians are actually not easy to find, but the budget/low-end market is flooded.

Also: In theory the wynne corrector will work with any newtonian, as they all have parabolic mirrors, and as such are all the same shape, if the diameter and f ratio are the same.

• Like 1