Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ngc 185 - a dwarf galaxy and its globular clusters

wimvb

ngc 185 is a dwarf galaxy in Cassiopeia. It has many classifications: dwarf Spheroidal, elliptical, and type 2 Seyfert. It is located at a distance of approximately 2 Mly and has a diameter of 10 000 ly. The galaxy has an active nucleus and until recently even star formation. Unlike its twin (ngc 147) which is devoid of any structure near its nucleus, ngc 185 has some dust bands. The annotated image shows the galaxy's globular clusters.

I imaged this galaxy 6 years ago, in fact it was the target of my first attempt at guiding.

Technical details:

SW 190MN with ZWO ASI294MM camera and Optolong LRGB filters

3 hrs RGB and 3 hrs L captured 27/12 2022

Processed in PixInsight

ngc185_LRGB.thumb.jpg.aa05bcd98b5002737ab71d1037936cb4.jpg

ngc185_LRGB_Annotated.thumb.jpg.8a3cb3c9ac2e083176e159bb8115e762.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

The annotated image shows the galaxy's globular clusters.

On first glance, I would definitely have thought them stars but on closer inspection it's clear how their overall brightness and profile is different.  Awesome.  How did you identify the individual cluster designations?

Great capture (and comparison to the earlier attempt).

2 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Odd looking galaxy, reminds me of M110 with the dusty core. Nice picture and interesting to see the comparison to the older attempt.

Thank you. Ngc 185, ngc 147 and ngc 205 (M110) are the same type of galaxies, and all three are bound to and interact with M31. So they do resemble each other.

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

On first glance, I would definitely have thought them stars but on closer inspection it's clear how their overall brightness and profile is different.  Awesome.  How did you identify the individual cluster designations?

Great capture (and comparison to the earlier attempt).

Thank you. I looked for the GCs in Simbad/Vizier. To keep them safe from BlurXterminator, I masked them with a custom mask. The stars have been tightened a bit, but the galaxy and clusters not.

The annotated image uses a custom catalogue, based on Vizier data and the Typecat PI script.

https://skypixels.at/pixinsight_scripts.html

Edited by wimvb
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, wimvb said:

The annotated image uses a custom catalogue, based on Vizier data and the Typecat PI script.

Thanks Wim, I have that library of scripts installed (GAME is a fave) but haven't used a custom user catalogue for AnnotateImage yet - just had a quick & dirty try and worked a treat 👍

• Like 1