SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Averted Vision - Corner Of The Eye Phenomena?

Ian McCallum

I've always been a bit wary of 'averted vision', as it reminds me of 'corner of the eye phenomena'.

When looking at DSO's using this method, are we actually "seeing" them or is our brain just filling in the blanks that we expect to see?🤔

http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/articles/Corner eye phenomena.html

Edited by Ian McCallum

We're seeing them. I'm no biology expert but the human eye has two types of light-receptive cells, rods and cones. One type is at the middle of the retina and is sensitive to colour, whilst the other is more light sensitive and to the sides of the retina. This is why, by looking to the side of where the object should be, it miraculously pops into view. But as soon as you look directly at it, it will disappear. When I first experienced this, as a youngster, I thought I'd developed a super-human power! It's fascinating to experience and it really does work.

• Like 2

• Ian McCallum changed the title to Averted Vision - Corner Of The Eye Phenomena?