SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Motor drive!!

I recently bought a 130mm Skywatcher scope, and with it came a motor drive.

I have so far attached the motor drive to the telescope, but i am not sure if i can get long exposures with it.

The motor drive works fine, but i am questioning its ability to track deep space objects, or if the motor drive is even moving.

46 minutes ago, Zilvay said:

The motor drive works fine, but i am questioning its ability to track deep space objects, or if the motor drive is even moving.

The motor drive will move very slowly when tracking objects, as in one revolution per day. It will track objects if the mount is aligned to the celestial north pole.

16 hours ago, Zilvay said:

I recently bought a 130mm Skywatcher scope, and with it came a motor drive.

I have so far attached the motor drive to the telescope, but i am not sure if i can get long exposures with it.

I am guessing its an RA drive on a telescope like the SW 130M. I had a similar one on my Celestron 130 and this drive can track for a couple of minutes quite well (for visual use), assuming your polar alignment is good.

But as you are talking about exposures, the mount on such telescopes is not great and is prone to shakes which affect images. Do let us know the exact spec of your scope so we can help better.