SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A different APP question

muletopia

When APP starts it asks for the working directory to be set,OK.

My Linux system has a large pair of physically raided  discs mounted in media . APP does not show  "media" in the /home/chris directory, By my reasoning it should.

If I type this into the bottom bar APP displays a message saying that this location is no longer available. This is obviously physically incorrect.

How do you get the media directory into the /home/chris list?

Chris

nodisc.png

Most linux systems mount media in /media/yourusername/mediadevicenumberorname

You can open a terminal, be assured you stand in your home directory (pwd) and make a soft symlink:

ln -s /media/yourusername/mediadevicenumberorname

Once it's there and working, you can give it a recognizeable name. This is whats called a shortcut in windows.

2 hours ago, Rallemikken said:

Most linux systems mount media in /media/yourusername/mediadevicenumberorname

You can open a terminal, be assured you stand in your home directory (pwd) and make a soft symlink:

ln -s /media/yourusername/mediadevicenumberorname

Once it's there and working, you can give it a recognizeable name. This is whats called a shortcut in windows.

OK, I did that thankyou, and called it astrodisc. In terminal ls -g shows astrodisc as a link to  media/bigdisc,  bigdisc is where the raid pair is mounted.

But APP only shows directories which reside on the Desktop. So how do you make it see "astrodisc"?

Chris

2 hours ago, muletopia said:

But APP only shows directories which reside on the Desktop. So how do you make it see "astrodisc"?

Do the same procedure in the Desktop folder:

cd Desktop  #Change to Desktop folder

ls -g  #Check that this is the one; look familiar??

ln -s /media/yourusername/mediadevicenumberorname  #new symlink here to the same target.

You can have many symlinks to the same target scattered all over your home folder. The command "man ln" gives you an introduction to the command. It's always wise to do a "man randomcommand" before you execute things in the terminal you have found on the net.  You may break things, better to know what one does.

2 hours ago, Rallemikken said:

Do the same procedure in the Desktop folder:

cd Desktop  #Change to Desktop folder

ls -g  #Check that this is the one; look familiar??

ln -s /media/yourusername/mediadevicenumberorname  #new symlink here to the same target.

You can have many symlinks to the same target scattered all over your home folder. The command "man ln" gives you an introduction to the command. It's always wise to do a "man randomcommand" before you execute things in the terminal you have found on the net.  You may break things, better to know what one does.

Thank you Rallemikken, that certainly worked for me,"astrodisc" now appears in the AAP screen to select the working directory and leads to the required place.

Chris