SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moonwatch at Sunningwell 4-5 April

themos

The Abingdon Astronomical Society put on a Moonwatch event for the public in the village of Sunningwell tonight. The weather cooperated and we got some great views with a variety of reflectors, refractors and catadioptrics, following a talk about the Moon. A memorable lunar feature very much in evidence tonight was a very bright round crater right on the terminator looking like a Polo mint had just attached itself to the Moon. I'm trying to track it down and I think it was Tobias Mayer A not far from Copernicus, although Tobias Mayer C looks rounder (but VMA shows it too far from the terminator at the observation time). Did anyone else see it tonight? Does Talitha remember ever seeing such a strong feature?

Going by your description, I would think Euler had a better chance of being what you saw, unless you think that is too far away. It is a nice round crater right on the terminator about four hours ago, and in the middle of Mare Imbrium, where it doesn't have much competition for attention.

Glad your Moonwatch went well. ;)

You bet Talitha remembers seeing it.. many times.:rolleyes: I've no idea what a Polo mint is, but it sounds like the 'Lifesaver' rolled candies we have here, and describes Tobias Mayer A very well. That's it on the left side of the attached Copernicus image.

Regarding the VMA's terminator, it sometimes seems like it's not quite where it should be.. no idea why, but I'm guessing it doesn't take the elevations into consideration.

Btw, if you like Polo mints, wait a few days and look for Lavoisier A when it's on the terminator... it actually looks like a white lifesaver floating in the Ocean of Storms. :hello2:

post-13732-13387736466_thumb.jpg

post-13732-133877364665_thumb.jpg

Polo mint:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/5516949_ff2e398700.jpg

Lifesaver:

http://d2creative.smugmug.com/photos/229699296-O.jpg

Thanks Warthog, Talitha! That picture of Carol's settles it for me. It was Mayer A. Our view must have been during a slightly earlier phase, maybe by a few hours. Will look out for Lavoisier A later, cheers!

Archived