Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another M45 - 2 panel mosaic with 8'' newton

ONIKKINEN

55x60s per panel for a total of 1h50min with an 8'' newtonian:

pleiades-j.thumb.jpg.aca1e118e5945c84b6a069cafbdd318a.jpg

Took this before the M81-M82 image i also just posted, so i had a very productive night between the 24th and 25th. Almost makes up for the fact that the last 2 months were nonstop cloud.

Mosaiced in APP which did a fantastic job requiring no fiddling with the seams. Linear processing in PI with SPCC, BlurXT, NoiseXT and a small resample downscale to fit my 1440p monitor better at 100% zoom. Partially stretched and then moved on to PS for the starless nonlinear stuff which included sharpening and denoising with various methods including NoiseXT of course and some local contrast adjustments.

Very happy with it for such a short image that i previously didn't dare image because i was worried mosaicing is difficult for some reason.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Damn fine that, would never have guessed it was under 1 hour per panel.

Big aperture (for the target), dark and exceptionally transparent skies, 1e- read noise makes the magic happen. Presentation resolution is also a forgiving 2'' per pixel so SNR of the stack is very good. But yeah, very surprised too that it turned out so clean so quickly.