Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro Super-Tune and Belt Mod

Sabalias

What a fantastic Christmas it's been - I was given a Rowan Belt Mod Kit for Christmas and also ordered a complete set of replacement bearings (because both axes of the mount had become stiff and the guiding was appalling). So for the last few days I've stripped down my (from new and never opened) HEQ5 Pro; de-greased and cleaned everything (there were even some worrying flakes of metal and paint in the worm gears); replaced all the bearings and re-greased; and finally installed the belt mod. Most fun I've had in a long time (what does that say about me? 😂).

Anyway, the mount is all back together and seems to be operating as smooth as silk (I hope to try to test it this evening).  Some of the things to take away from the exercise:

1. Don't necessarily trust the stock hardware (one bearing on each axis felt as though it had sand it it)
  2. Lakes of grease don't necessarily mean a smoothly operating mount (it felt like I spent longer cleaning all the old grease off than reconstructing each axis)
  3. If the mount's tracking and guiding has gone awry then it might not be an evening set up error

Happy to share more detail if anyone's interested (tempted to try it themselves).

Stu

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 26/12/2022 at 14:48, Knighty2112 said:

What grease did you use to replace the grease already in the HEQ5 Pro? Thought about doing the Rowan mount upgrade on my mount, but as I only do visual then not sure it will benefit me much. Might have a go a re-greasing it though. 

I believe the HEQ5 uses a lithium grease normally, I'm sure other greases will work as a substitute but I would probably choose to go with the manufacturer's choice myself, unless there's an obviously better alternative.

Lithium grease is quite thick but of course that can be quite good for the slow, high torque and high load gearing being lubricated.

10 hours ago, pipnina said:

I believe the HEQ5 uses a lithium grease normally, I'm sure other greases will work as a substitute but I would probably choose to go with the manufacturer's choice myself, unless there's an obviously better alternative.

Lithium grease is quite thick but of course that can be quite good for the slow, high torque and high load gearing being lubricated.

If I have to go by the multiple reviews and tuning out there, then they all say the factory grease is low grade and better replaced with better grease, and indeed spread thinly.

• Like 1

If you took your car in for a super tune and the mechanic replaced a few components and a re-grease is that just a service??

There's a whole host of other things you can do to a mount that wasn't paid enough attention to , even at the factory... 

And yes a gritty bearing should be replaced

On 27/01/2023 at 18:53, pipnina said:

Hi Pipnina

I did put some lithium grease on it about a year ago but I don't think it helped; when I opened the mount up to install the belt mod I found that the lithium grease was pretty solid which is why I went with the grease that was recommended by various sources. Seems to have done the trick

Stu

• Like 1

On 29/01/2023 at 13:11, newbie alert said:

If you took your car in for a super tune and the mechanic replaced a few components and a re-grease is that just a service??

There's a whole host of other things you can do to a mount that wasn't paid enough attention to , even at the factory... 

And yes a gritty bearing should be replaced

I did find that there was a badly cast area within the mount (I don't think it was impinging on anything but I sanded it down anyway). Not sure what else I could have done without some dedicated machinery 😂

6 hours ago, Sabalias said:

I did find that there was a badly cast area within the mount (I don't think it was impinging on anything but I sanded it down anyway). Not sure what else I could have done without some dedicated machinery 😂

No machinery needed...