SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shadow Foam

wookie1965

For cutting circles use hole cutters like these made for wood.

71w0p51MMCS._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.f36e755580eb875b2117456e2590423f.jpg 

The important thing though is to run the drill in REVERSE and you will get a very clean hole.

The hole cutter will normally have to cut through all the layers of the foam but you will be left with a disk inside the cutter which can be prized out and sliced to go back in the hole if wanted..

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 3

Hi Paul,

I used an old chromed 1.25" eyepiece barrel which I heated up on our ceramic hob. I made sure I wore log burner/fireplace gauntlets and carefully pressed the hot contact end of the eyepiece barrel into the foam at the spots I had marked  for the placement of the ep's..the foam then melted in the circular hole shape I wanted, til it looked like this..

image.png.7e7cf56a408242f92325d79f14c77100.png

• Like 5

9 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Paul,

I used an old chromed 1.25" eyepiece barrel which I heated up on our ceramic hob. I made sure I wore log burner/fireplace gauntlets and carefully pressed the hot contact end of the eyepiece barrel into the foam at the spots I had marked  for the placement of the ep's..the foam then melted in the circular hole shape I wanted, til it looked like this..

Very nice Dave. You can get the missing bits here: https://www.wdscomponents.com/en-gb/machine-hardware/handles/case-handles/c-405

• Haha 2

Pretty sure I've heard others have used a suitable diameter can/canister, cut to give a sharp edge and used that to make the holes. Do be careful tho if the suitable canister is an aerosol as even "discharged" they will have some residual pressure. Don't rush cutting foam, slow and steady will always get better results. A hot knife might work well if you can get one to suit the job at hand.

I use hole saws and as mentioned above, run my drill anticlockwise at low speed or turn them by hand.  Depending on the type of foam, using heated cutters can release toxic or at least irritating fumes, so user beware.

IME pluck foam comes apart after minimal use.  Some people hot glue the blocks together, but why bother when there are other inexpensive options available?

But to each, their own.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2022 at 23:00, F15Rules said:

Hi Paul,

Hi Dave I had a old laser collimator I could use for the 1.25" but I had to use a old cycle bell for the 2" turned out quite good. 

20221227_135511.jpg

20221227_142047.jpg

• Like 3