SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Are we trapped in a star atlas?!

Rodd

3 minutes ago, Astroscot2 said:

Can we see the identical subs? I only see 1 image.  Thanks

I don't have the sub anymore--I deleted it  before I realized what it was.  That happened when I looked at the second sub and it was the same.  Then I realized it was unusual.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodd said:

Agreed.....but we should still be able to reason through the problem.  Satellites taking 2 min to traverse my FOV is not believable without assuming the satellites are moving slower than normal.  Even then, the satellites would not fully traverse both frames in 2 min.  The second sub would only have the pattern from its location where the first sub ended--not from side to side, as the sub started after the satellite had moved partially across the sensor.  The two subs I had showed identical patterns and the sub previous to the first and directly after the second had no pattern.  That is why I considered lasers, as they would be in place 100% of the time until turned off.  But I do not know if lasers would show up on the subs

Satellites, planes, meteors do not have to traverse for 2 minutes. They just need to be bright enough.  All you need for this to happen is for two satellites to traverse the field of view during the first sub and then two different satellites following the exact same trajectories traverse the FOV during the second sub.  These two events could, for example, have occurred during the last 10 seconds of the first sub and first 10 seconds of the second sub.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree here and someone else might like to attempt an explanation. Pity you’ve discarded the subs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Satellites, planes, meteors do not have to traverse for 2 minutes. They just need to be bright enough.  All you need for this to happen is for two satellites to traverse the field of view during the first sub and then two different satellites following the exact same trajectories traverse the FOV during the second sub.  These two events could, for example, have occurred during the last 10 seconds of the first sub and first 10 seconds of the second sub.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree here and someone else might like to attempt an explanation. Pity you’ve discarded the subs. 

That makes sense--but if the satellite only was there for say 10 seconds, would the trail remain bright as the sub gains exposure without the satellite.  so unless the satellites were in each sub the same amount of time--2there may be a difference in brightness between subs.  There wasn't.  

Anyway--since I am the only one who thinks this strange, it doesn't really matter.  But I ask you this--if I am the only one who has had this happen in back to back subs, is it not by definition peculiar? There have been ALLOT of subs taken across the world in the last couple of years.  Granted, we have not heard from everyone, but there have been ALLOT of subs taken by the folks on SGL.  Granted, we have not heard from all of them either.  But you get my point--so far, this is an exceedingly rare occurrence.  Much rarer than the wings of a plane appearing in my subs clear as day (that has happened a dozen times to me).

• Like 1

Nah! You are all making it too complicated. It is just the guys who make the slides for the sky projection just accidentally left the PowerPoint guide lines in. Fortunately, it was noticed quite quickly and the correct slides uploaded. They had hoped no 9ne would notice!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

Nah! You are all making it too complicated. It is just the guys who make the slides for the sky projection just accidentally left the PowerPoint guide lines in. Fortunately, it was noticed quite quickly and the correct slides uploaded. They had hoped no 9ne would notice!

I think it is proof that we ARE living in the Matrix!  Which one of you is the agent that will come to eradicate me?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

I think it is proof that we ARE living in the Matrix!  Which one of you is the agent that will come to eradicate me?

Rodd’s observation was just a glitch in the matrix then. That explains it. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

This was in my evenings data of NGC1333, made me think of this thread:

NGC1333-max-satellites.thumb.jpg.779fb268f9b3a8c3d2157bb02a72ac88.jpg

Wow. That’s crazy.  Was it on one sub?  How long was the sub?

BTW. Awesome sub. One sub and ngc 1333 is clear as day, as is the surrounding dust.  Your sky must be nice. It takes me hours to get something like this.  The gradients are terrible.  In fact, with this nebula, the target is nog visible at all in one sub—only the brightest spot and some stars. 

Edited by Rodd

5 hours ago, Rodd said:

Wow. That’s crazy.  Was it on one sub?  How long was the sub?

BTW. Awesome sub. One sub and ngc 1333 is clear as day, as is the surrounding dust.  Your sky must be nice. It takes me hours to get something like this.  The gradients are terrible.  In fact, with this nebula, the target is nog visible at all in one sub—only the brightest spot and some stars. 

Not one sub, just a MAX stack in APP of the outliers.

19 minutes ago, Rodd said:

How about two consecutive subs with same pattern of satellites?

I dont think I've seen what you were describing, but it's a pity you dont have the subs to show.  Also why are you deleting subs with satellites?

29 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I dont think I've seen what you were describing, but it's a pity you dont have the subs to show.  Also why are you deleting subs with satellites?

I don’t usually. These were so wierd to me my initial reaction was to delete them. I thought something was amiss. Didn’t think of satellites. These just looked so odd-grid patterns. I saved one mostly to inquire what it is. I am glad I saved one.  Kicking myself for deleting the first. 
I have been having registration issues lately. Not sure if it’s the scope or PI. But  if I try to register all red subs, say, taken over different nights and from different sides of the meridian to a single sub, they won’t register.  When I blink through the registered subs the stars jump around. I have tried distortion correction. The only way I can do it is in batches. All red subs from one night from one side of meridian, then the subs from the other side of the meridian. Then I make two stacks and register the stacks. Lately with fsq I have been taking many subs (1,500 of so or more total), so culling a few is irrelevant. I guess I figured get rid of them to minimize my problems. 

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 1