Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CAMERA USB’s

bosun21

Why don’t ZWO and other camera manufacturers not fit an additional usb2 port on their uncooled cameras? I decided to try EEVA and AP to see whether I have a future with this branch of astronomy. I have run out of USB ports on my asiair plus and can’t connect my new electronic filter wheel and also had to unplug my 256GB memory stick. I am using the four ports with my ASI585 MC, my ASI120MM guide camera, my mount and my EAF. This try out has been expensive to say the least and now I have to find at least £1K for a cooled camera. Why don’t they fit at least one on their uncooled cameras. It’s maddening and expensive to say the least.

Use a proper, separate, USB hub if you can.  The USB hubs built into ZWO cameras are notoriously flaky, it'd be an even more expensive try out if you bought a new camera only to find it hasn't solved your problem.

Edited by Starflyer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Starflyer said:

Use a proper, separate, USB hub if you can.  The USB hubs built into ZWO cameras are notoriously flaky, it'd be an even more expensive try out if you bought a new camera only to find it hasn't solved your problem.

Sadly you need to be careful when buying dedicated USB hubs too.

I bought one from a local shop, USB3. And my RisingCam 571 complained about it only having a 2.0 connection, and did not work as a result.

I ordered a Pegasus box on 31october... Still not here yet but flo said their expected delivery was in "early december". I guess Pegasus are struggling for volume.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Starflyer said:

How can my asiair plus control my electronic focuser via a hub?

10 hours ago, pipnina said:

Sadly you need to be careful when buying dedicated USB hubs too.

I bought one from a local shop, USB3. And my RisingCam 571 complained about it only having a 2.0 connection, and did not work as a result.

I ordered a Pegasus box on 31october... Still not here yet but flo said their expected delivery was in "early december". I guess Pegasus are struggling for volume.

I recently got a Pegasus box, and it’s working perfectly with two USB3 IMX571 cameras attached so you won’t be disappointed 👍🏼

10 hours ago, Starflyer said:

The USB hubs built into ZWO cameras are notoriously flaky

I use my ZWO camera to run an OAG via the usb rear ports, hasn’t given me any trouble in almost 2 years.  It’s the one feature I miss not being present on the QHY equivalent.

• Like 1

You should be able to split any one of your Asiair Plus USB ports into multiple ports using a hub. The software should just see the additional devices transparently. A hub will be much less expensive than a cooled camera upgrade, and you really don't need a cooled camera for EEVA.

I use this USB 3.0 hub (I bought mine from Amazon). It seems to work well and is much cheaper that the Pegasus Hub. What I like about it is that it's long and thin and so straps nicely out of the way to a tripod leg, and it can be powered locally from 12V, so directly from the mount battery (most USB hubs need 5V). It does also work without a local power supply.

• Like 1