Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do Tachyons give rise to quantum mechanics and the Higgs field?

Something different

Three time dimensions, one space dimension: Relativity of superluminal observers in 1+3 spacetime

https://phys.org/news/2022-12-dimensions-space-dimension-superluminal-spacetime.html

...the crucial ingredient of any spontaneous symmetry breaking mechanism is a tachyonic field. It seems that superluminal phenomena may play a key role in the Higgs mechanism.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1361-6382/acad60

• Like 4

Well... it was quite challenging for me, and I have had to refresh some of my physics/mathematics. It does seem valid, however I do like the conclusion from...

We have explicitly shown .... This is some new meaning of 'explicitly' for me!!!

Once again, thanks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Ah, I always wondered how Tachyhashis manage to defy the laws of physics 😊

Also explains why tachyhashi owners are so obsessive.  They experience owning them backwards in time!  They already own one and have been using it for decades by the time they click 'buy now' on Flo.

• Haha 5

Interesting. I will work through this, possibly on Boxing Day as soon as the coffee shops open. I think, through work, I have access to the journal version of the manuscript. Daughter currently is playing Minecraft on home computer that has work software installed.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2022 at 15:17, Paul M said:

I'm struggling with the math.

1+3 spacetime? What exactly has 5 got to do with anything?

🤣

An n + m spacetime has n timelike dimensions and m spacelike dimensions. The spacetimes of standard special and general relativity are 1 + 3, i.e., each observer has 1 dimension of time and 3 dimensions of space. To simplify the maths, often 1 +1 spacetimes are considered (only 1 spatial dimension). Standard string theory operates in a 1 + 9 dimensional spacetime for which 6 of the 9 spatial dimensions are curled up so tightly that we perceive spacetime as being 1 + 3. This work uses a 6-dimensional spacetime but instead of using a 1 + 5 spacetime with 1 timelike dimension, it uses 3 + 3 spacetime, i.e., 3 dimensions for time, and 3 dimensions for space. The superluminal observers seem to occupy a 3 + 1 dimensional subspaces..

20 hours ago, George Jones said:

for which 6 of the 9 spatial dimensions are curled up so tightly

What does this really mean?

Best explanation that I managed to conjure in my mind is something along these lines:

image.png.0eb039fc15accab6ab7dd2a825ff55eb.png

Or rather - that space is bound in those directions with very low bound on distance and that any physical object is actually like wound wire in direction of these curled dimensions - which poses a question.

I'll try to explain it with infinite room idea:

let's imagine room that has 6 sides - like interior of the cube. Each side of this room contains a door, and when we exit any of those doors - we reappear thru the door on the opposite wall. This sort of 3d model of closed / bounded hypersphere kind of 3d universe.

Now if we just take one direction in above room - and put object that is larger than the room itself - what will happen? Object will overlap with itself.

Does this happen with those curled up dimensions - because as far as I can tell - we can't perceive them because they are tiny and curled up - and tiny does not mean that they are limited in extent - it just means they are bounded - but one can move infinitely far in that direction.

• Like 1

I’ve never got my head around these extra curled up dimensions required for the maths of string theory etc. What is the point of a dimension that isn’t required to describe relative position in spacetime- isn’t that what a dimension is for? Or maybe these extra dimensions relate to something outside our spacetime and it just so happens that their values are always the same for everything inside spacetime so for us they are irrelevant? But then why try to describe them as curled up so small we can’t detect them? Or are they just a mathematical construct like imaginary numbers- essential for the maths but not actually “real”?

According to Wicki- “The concept of dimension is not restricted to physical objects. High-dimensional spacesfrequently occur in mathematics and the sciences. They may be Euclidean spaces or more general parameter spaces or configuration spaces such as in Lagrangian or Hamiltonian mechanics; these are abstract spaces, independent of the physical space in which we live.”

Mark