Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Takahashi TOA-130NS [visual]

19 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Won’t be too long before some wag comments how lickable that OG is and what a super handle it has. But they would be spot on 👍🏻

Well that's a marked improvement on what you normally call me Jeremy. I'll take it as a compliment. :biggrin:

• Haha 5

20 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Congratulations @josefk. This has to be one of the best Tak scopes out there. I’m am certain the images will be amazing.

I hope you get some views of Jupiter and Mars while they are well placed.

Won’t be too long before some wag comments how lickable that OG is and what a super handle it has. But they would be spot on 👍🏻

haha well I must be a wag then because I was thinking "oh that OG is sooo gorgous I want to lick it!? Haha! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

"can you see anything?" ... "yes, wonderful things!" 

famous words of Howard carter when he peered into the treasure filled tomb of King Tutankhamun! LOL I thought that was an appropriate comment for an amateur astronomer who's peering into the box of a 130 Takahashi! 

You're a very lucky guy getting one of those! I too one day dream of being able to repeat carters famous words! LOL. They're just beyond gorgeous those 'scopes! 

Wes.

Thank you Wes. I expect quite a few Dave Bowman moments tbh - i'm happy enough to talk to myself while out observing and the "my god it's full of stars" line gets trotted out pretty regularly 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RobertI said:

Well done on taking the plunge! It must be a great feeling to know you have the very best, and something you can still enjoy looking at as well as looking through. 👍

thanks Rob - with the weather outside at the moment and the outlook in CO it may be all i get to do for a few days☁️☁️☁️

• Like 1

Thank you @Space Hopper and happy to oblige with pics. I plan to use these together on the AZ100 more than half the time in theory. Binoviewer in one side and mono in the other - playing to their strengths for whatever i'm targeting. I'm really looking for improved contrast in the refractor as i know i will give up some scale. That and the ability to get wider than a degree TFOV and the ability to observe the brighter planets without damned great big diffraction spikes. I don't mind them too much on stars but hate them on planets. 

J0EA4132.thumb.jpeg.af0fafc3316dcea675467e96a05fc63f.jpeg

Cheers

Joe

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Congratulations on a dream scope! and if you weren't really a lunar and planetary observer before, oh you WILL be now!

Thanks @Sunshine. I DO like the planets right enough and am looking forward to getting better at deeply observing there. I would be a total newbie on the moon though. Till now I don't even look in its direction or anywhere close even naked eye when it's around to preserve dark adaptation. On the other hand there is an occultation/conjunction with Uranus New Years day (depends where you live which you get) so if the sky permits i could start there. Cheers

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, josefk said:

Thank you Wes. I expect quite a few Dave Bowman moments tbh - i'm happy enough to talk to myself while out observing and the "my god it's full of stars" line gets trotted out pretty regularly 🙂

Wow so it’s not just me who talks to himself while doing Astro!? 😂 And I can also sooo relate to your comments about saying “my God it’s full of Stars!” 🤩 I am often blown away when I see an open or globular cluster and the sheer number and beauty of all those stars. Incredible sight and very much worth the effort to see and enjoy! 👍

• Like 2

...and now its ready for grab n go...

This is the SKB 3i Series 4213-12 Utility case (cheaper than the Peli equivalent and IIRC slightly more sympathetic (squarer) dimensions). The OTA fits well and i didn't make a complete mess cutting the foam surprisingly. It does mean it will need a finder QR foot though (i suspected as much beforehand so not a surprise).

IMG_3443.jpeg.88a7d2e390cce8d14a17acfabd77610e.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, josefk said:

...and now its ready for grab n go...

. It does mean it will need a finder QR foot though (i suspected as much beforehand so not a surprise).

I use the Tak FQR-1 quick release base on some of my Taks. Easy to demount and remount the finder without losing collimation 

Another £100+ for you 😊

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/12/2022 at 16:40, josefk said:

Thank you. I’m not an impressionable chap I don’t think but there are a few bad influences on here if I were. 🤣

I don't know who you could possibly mean, but what I do know is that that is a Jeremy, sorry, Gem of a scope! Congratulations!:hello2:

Dave

On 22/12/2022 at 16:40, josefk said:

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready for first light last night. "...my god its full of tiny stars and they're all different sizes and colours..."

IMG_3474.jpeg.cf529ef985c17fbc8a8f7bae89855427.jpeg

First light comprised; M42, Theta1 Orionis, Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, M31/M32 (but not M110), 38 Lyncis, Iota and Zeta Cancri and then Mars, 62 Tauri, and Mars!, Mars!, Mars!

Edited by josefk
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

3rd light on the Takahashi tonight. I'd kept it cool all day after last nights session so it was "sharp as you like" straight after taking this picture and returned fabulous view of Jupiter at 200x using a Tak 5mm LE. Mars thirty minutes later with the same eyepiece was equally fabulous.

Interestingly my two best views of Jupiter this past 6 months have both been in transitional skies. This evening in twilight and back in August 2022 in the dawn.

IMG_3534.thumb.jpeg.8612efac0296b5e2c2a6ce17faaf0cd2.jpeg

• Like 7

On 23/12/2022 at 08:46, josefk said:

Thank you @Space Hopper and happy to oblige with pics. I plan to use these together on the AZ100 more than half the time in theory. Binoviewer in one side and mono in the other - playing to their strengths for whatever i'm targeting. I'm really looking for improved contrast in the refractor as i know i will give up some scale. That and the ability to get wider than a degree TFOV and the ability to observe the brighter planets without damned great big diffraction spikes. I don't mind them too much on stars but hate them on planets. 

J0EA4132.thumb.jpeg.af0fafc3316dcea675467e96a05fc63f.jpeg

Cheers

Joe

Oh I do love the artistic black and white!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i read your experience with horror and empathy @Alan White. In the cold dark and damp with foggy brain i check and check and double check every fastening i'm that paranoid.

The good news is my refractor is pretty much directly connected to the mount via the Takahashi cradle (no dovetails or rails involved). It can't slip out of its own clamp due to OTA lumps and bumps. The Cassegrain IS is on a losmandy but i have a Baader counterweight fitted to this plate between clamping area and the end of the rail. i haven't stress tested it but i don't think it can slip through 🤞🏼

• Like 3

10 hours ago, josefk said:

3rd light on the Takahashi tonight. I'd kept it cool all day after last nights session so it was "sharp as you like" straight after taking this picture and returned fabulous view of Jupiter at 200x using a Tak 5mm LE. Mars thirty minutes later with the same eyepiece was equally fabulous.

Interestingly my two best views of Jupiter this past 6 months have both been in transitional skies. This evening in twilight and back in August 2022 in the dawn.

IMG_3534.thumb.jpeg.8612efac0296b5e2c2a6ce17faaf0cd2.jpeg

Wonderful pic. With your 4x4 it really looks like you were on a “Sky Safari”! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1