Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi TOA-130NS [visual]

i have a significant birthday next year and it has triggered me to realise life is too short and clear nights too few to mess about (something i wished i had realised while my eyesight was in better nick!). Also; while loving it immensely i find astronomy to be quite a frustrating and inconvenient hobby at times so in the spirit of “control what you can control and maximise what you can maximise” for those nights when the season, the weather, the atmosphere, and life all perfectly align I’ve taken receipt today of the (hopefully) fabulous Takahashi TOA-130NS. I can’t realistically carry or mount a bigger refractor than the meter long, 14.0kg fully dressed, TOA-130 so the Tak selected itself from a very short list (TSA-120, NP101 and NP127 FWIW) to be my "no doubts/no second thoughts" refractor.

i’m a visual only observer - why on earth have i bought a practically perfect “astrophotography scope” weighing more than 10kg OTA only and realistically almost indistinguishable for visual from scopes much lighter and more convenient to store, mount and cart about and so consequently scopes that would get used more often? As a visual observer most interested in deep sky (and who never observes the moon) why on earth have i invested into “only” 130mm of aperture perfectly focussed for planets and lunar? If i really knew the answer to those questions I’d be a wealthier man but maybe not happier.

I’m super excited and can’t wait to get out overnight with this new tool during the xmas break.

IMG_3427.thumb.jpeg.6574a89c98f82c04a025dc9b33716491.jpeg

Edited by josefk
added pic
  • Like 30

That's a beautiful scope. Perhaps you could consider setting up a permanent pier in your garden if you have one, so you'll only need to carry the tube outside?

One thing is certain however; you may have a new best friend in the Moon. For that, your scope will be truly awesome! And why not take advantage of our nearest alien world, as it dominates our sky for half the month.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i'm afraid i live in an apartment @mikeDnight at least for now. It does mean that (other than short GnG) as  its a bit of an expedition to get out and i use the car its not soooo bad to have heavy kit. The moon may feature a bit the next few weeks in any event because we'll surprise our young nephew with a scope for xmas and that's where we'll start the budding astronomer off. i may get the bug too 😄.

Edited by josefk
  • Like 5

...and even more essential handle added. I've been positively surprised at the nice handling of the OTA today while tinkering - i had been dreading it.

However i know there is a world of difference between mounting it and demounting it in the comfort of my own home - nice and warm and dry - versus demounting it in the early hours of the morning with plunging blood sugar, fuddled brain, cold hands and everything covered in dew. 

J0EA4140.thumb.jpeg.14141d661e10f77fe5fd8eef2e671cb2.jpeg

• Like 4

Congratulations @josefk. This has to be one of the best Tak scopes out there. I’m am certain the images will be amazing.

I hope you get some views of Jupiter and Mars while they are well placed.

Won’t be too long before some wag comments how lickable that OG is and what a super handle it has. But they would be spot on 👍🏻

• Haha 7

59 minutes ago, josefk said:

Baader clicklock added - i'm not sure why Tak still use naked screws to clamp diagonals and EPs rather than compression clamps...

It's a Japanese thing, Vixen are the same, simple low-weight fittings which do their job well enough, if hanging a small 1.25" prism diagonal and a light-weight orthoscopic off the end. 2" dielectrics and hand grenade style super wide-fields are another matter, not to mention binoviewers and imaging rigs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Congratulations @josefk. This has to be one of the best Tak scopes out there. I’m am certain the images will be amazing.

I hope you get some views of Jupiter and Mars while they are well placed.

Won’t be too long before some wag comments how lickable that OG is and what a super handle it has. But they would be spot on 👍🏻

Yes that’s exactly the plan. I do really like my cassegrain but as soon as I looked at Mars back in August (I think it was August) I could feel the inevitable. Hopefully at some point in the next ten days there will be windows of opportunity for Mars especially but Jupiter too. Tak abbé ortho EPs back in stock as well at at least one retailer. In pairs!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Great scope. Congratulations

You will be gettinglots of “assistance “ as regards “options” for a Tak. Not sure where to start. 

Brace yourself. 🤣🤣👍👍

All helpful advice appreciated but I’ll be honest - the ‘options’ will need to be cheap for a bit (or at least deliverable in small packages). 😇

Edited by josefk
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmM said:

Wow, what a fabulous scope. I'm drooling at the thought of it! I'm sure it'll be a pleasure to use, a pleasure to look at, a pleasure to own and that's all before looking through it :)

Malcolm 

Absolutely Malcolm. Tick tick tick already. Now for a clear night for the most important tick of all!

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

It's a Japanese thing, Vixen are the same, simple low-weight fittings which do their job well enough, if hanging a small 1.25" prism diagonal and a light-weight orthoscopic off the end. 2" dielectrics and hand grenade style super wide-fields are another matter, not to mention binoviewers and imaging rigs.

Yes it seemed to be - definitely jars with my OCD to bruise EP barrels though. TBH I find clicklock is fool proof at night and the one fastening I don’t feel the need to continually check is done up properly. 👍🏼

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StuartT said:

oh wow! *drools*

And "only" a visual observer too! You utter hedonist, you!

😍

Thanks. “Utter hedonist” absolutely! while I can lift it! I reckon it’s got 15 years (max 20) to pay me back till that is no longer possible. 😬

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, josefk said:

Thanks. “Utter hedonist” absolutely! while I can lift it! I reckon it’s got 15 years (max 20) to pay me back till that is no longer possible. 😬

I am 60 and have a very heavy frac. I do wonder how much longer that will be practical! 😬

Enjoy!

Edited by StuartT
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, josefk said:

i have a significant birthday next year and it has triggered me to realise life is too short and clear nights too few to mess about (something i wished i had realised while my eyesight was in better nick!). Also; while loving it immensely i find astronomy to be quite a frustrating and inconvenient hobby at times so in the spirit of “control what you can control and maximise what you can maximise” for those nights when the season, the weather, the atmosphere, and life all perfectly align I’ve taken receipt today of the (hopefully) fabulous Takahashi TOA-130NS. I can’t realistically carry or mount a bigger refractor than the meter long, 14.0kg fully dressed, TOA-130 so the Tak selected itself from a very short list (TSA-120, NP101 and NP127 FWIW) to be my "no doubts/no second thoughts" refractor.

i’m a visual only observer - why on earth have i bought a practically perfect “astrophotography scope” weighing more than 10kg OTA only and realistically almost indistinguishable for visual from scopes much lighter and more convenient to store, mount and cart about and so consequently scopes that would get used more often? As a visual observer most interested in deep sky (and who never observes the moon) why on earth have i invested into “only” 130mm of aperture perfectly focussed for planets and lunar? If i really knew the answer to those questions I’d be a wealthier man but maybe not happier.

I’m super excited and can’t wait to get out overnight with this new tool during the xmas break.

IMG_3427.thumb.jpeg.6574a89c98f82c04a025dc9b33716491.jpeg

"can you see anything?" ... "yes, wonderful things!" 

famous words of Howard carter when he peered into the treasure filled tomb of King Tutankhamun! LOL I thought that was an appropriate comment for an amateur astronomer who's peering into the box of a 130 Takahashi! 

You're a very lucky guy getting one of those! I too one day dream of being able to repeat carters famous words! LOL. They're just beyond gorgeous those 'scopes! 

Wes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1