Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help needed to repair a Celestron SLT tripod

jeffwjz

Hi everyone I own a Celestron SLT telescope and recently one of the clamps on the tripod leg snapped unfortunately.

Now I've managed to source a replacement clamp but I'm struggling to understand how to fit it in. 

There are the black plastic parts that sit on both ends of the stainless steel leg which stop the clamp from sliding in. Not sure how I can take one of the plastic part off?

IMG_20221221_153918.jpg

Looks like it's held on with rivets, if that's correct you'd need to drill them out and re-rivet afterwards. Rivets and a rivet-gun aren't expensive, just make sure you get the correct size rivets. From the photo, I'd say the lower part looks easier to work on.

EDIT: the parts being plastic, drill slowly or you'll melt it. You could also hand-file the rivet heads off.

Edited by wulfrun
added para

I would drill out the rivets as @wulfrun has suggested.
Being aluminium, you can use a hand drill (no motor) or a cordless on low speed to avoid heating and it won't take all day.
If the rivet starts to warm, stop for a minute then resume.

A caution. Sometimes the rivet can start to spin, if it is not securely held in the metal of the leg.
A spinning rivet against the plastic generates heat.
In this case hold the edges of the rivet head carefully but firmly using snipe nose pliers, a mini mole grip, or similar.

HTH, David.