Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Little Xmas Gift

LDW1

Well I just ordered a little christmas gift from me to me ! With over $50 C off the normal price I couldn't help myself buying the 5mm Baader Hyperion from Santa, with my wifes approval of course. It will be used in my f5.4, 5.5, 8.4 and 11.4 refractors on those great nites / conditions. It completes my Morpheus / Hyperion collection. Any experienced astronomers with experience using this 5mm ep, pros or cons ?

• Like 1

Only that in your two shorter f/ratio scopes the outer 20% of the field won't be very sharp.

If the eyepiece is used for planets, planetary nebulae, small globular clusters, and double star observing in a scope that tracks the turning of the Earth, that will not matter at all.

If the eyepiece is used to watch objects drift across the field in a non-tracking scope, or for Moon observing, the lack of sharpness in the outer field may bother you (or may not).

However, in your two longer f/ratio scopes, there won't be a problem and the edge will clean up significantly.

Get the Fine Tuning Rings for the Hyperion, and you also have other focal lengths with the same eyepiece:

4mm (14mm FT ring), 3.2mm (28mm FT ring), and 2.6mm (14+28mm FT rings)

• Like 1

I realize it may have limited use, a limited number of nites under limited conditions, on a limited number of objects but thats OK. Its all part of my ongoing self challenges, as always but other experiences are always appreciated for reference, always.