SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SH2-240 The Spagetti Nebula

powerlord

Whew - that thing is dim. And with between 1/2 and 1/4 moon has not helped.

However, here's the results - 4 sessions - 3 for NB (OSC 2600 with L-ultimate), 26 hours of 10 min subs over 3 nights. And last night, RGB for the stars and whatever else it found for 2 hours of 5 min subs.

Last night was intermittently cloudy, but after integrating the stars, tbh I think the slight glow they have adds to the image, so I decided to stick with em.

Stacked in APP, edited in Affinity Photo. I did try to use Affinity Photo 2, but it is totally unusable imho just now - layer just don't merge correctly, masks don't work, live adjustments in a layer affect layer below them - utter mess. So until that's all fixed, it's back to Affinity Photo v1.

stu

spagetti-nebula.thumb.jpg.4a7034684c779c4c5ecb15304435c462.jpg

• Like 29

That’s really good, you got a much better balance between the Ha and the OIII than I achieved. For a more pleasing composition it would be nice to have a few more panels to have the entire SNR in the FOV.

Easy to ask for, not so easy to do in the UK.

• Like 2

I too missed this first time posted, but I agree with Carole, it is a great image.

I thought this image would have done well with the BlurXT but assume from the other thread that is not the way you went so whatever method you did use seems to have worked anyway with dome great detail showing.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

thanks Göran,

I use StarXterminator and NoiseXterminator as a plugin in Affinity. Affinity supports PS plugins, and Russells stuff (other than BlurX) is available as PS plugins.

So I got rid of the NB stars for processing. And later, I replaced them with RGB stars I shot on the 4th night.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, powerlord said:

I'll be honest chaps, I thought I'd pulled a blinder on this one, but going by the lack of likes I guess not so opening it to the floor with a view to learning from my mistakes - what have i done wrong? What could I have done better?

Maybe you have to post a series of bloopers to be appreciated again - before posting the big one 🙂.  I would like to know which of your scopes/lenses did you use?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, beka said:

Maybe you have to post a series of bloopers to be appreciated again - before posting the big one 🙂.  I would like to know which of your scopes/lenses did you use?

haha, maybe!

It was done with the redcat (250mm) - which is turning out to be my most used scope tbh.

• Thanks 1

I missed this one first time around too. It's an object l really like, and this is a nice rendition. It's on my list to do one day, but l did some test shots on it a while ago and discovered I'd need a 9 panel mosaic to capture the whole thing with my set up - far more of a ballache than I'm willing to undertake at moment!