Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RASA 11 Disaster

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Out of curiosity, are there insurances for accidents like this in the UK? I have no idea if I could insure it in Sweden.

Accidental damage is usually included in home insurance policies, unless you specifically opt out, up to around £5000 or so per item I believe. More valuable items would need to be specified individually on the policy. I'll need to check mine fully and report back.

23 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I would have thought that a structure that had a platform to place the OTA on vertically but with a hole in it to avoid the camera unit, would be reasonably straightforward to make.

Yes, that's a possibility, with maybe blocks put around the outside to hold the OTA more securely in position. Care would be needed to avoid squashing the cables going over the rim. I have four cables , camera power, camera output, dew heater ring power and dew heater ring temperature sensor. 🙂

Alan

FLO have had a response from Celestron, and Celestron have asked me to send it to Orion Optics for repair and quotes, and Celestron will supply them the parts as necessary. I'll email OO over the weekend with the details and see what they reply.

It looks like major Celestron repairs may need to go back to China, and they've suggested this for a quicker result.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

7 hours ago, dark knight said:

How about an engine hoist, they lift up to 1 ton and can be purchased for less than £200, not sure on how high they lift though.

I actually have one that I bought for another purpose, not lifting engines. They don't travel well over grass though, and the scope is about 60 yds from the garage. The lifting height is possibly OK but one person manoeuvring it into position to engage with the saddle would be rather awkward.

I bought an electric height adjustable table and fitted a plywood top, and 100mm castor wheels in place of the feet. 200mm castors would be better over rough terrain but they would require a separate mounting plate as they are too large for the existing base. 100mm castors just very neatly. A manual adjustable height would have been fine but electric ones seem very prolific. The scope will sit in a mounting frame fitted to the plywood top, with small fixed rubber castor wheels holding up the scope so it can easily be rotated into position for offering up to the saddle with the counterweight bar horizontal as shown in the video. If it's successful I'll post some pictures. 😉 Fixed castor wheels seems to be an oxymoron, but that's what they're called. 😀

Alan