SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Takahashi 1.25" Multi-Coated Prism Diagonal - opinion please

Telescope40

Hello. Any people on here use this diagonal.  Thinking of a purchase to add to my Tak 128.  Trying to keep the Tak theme as well as still having good kit in my arsenal. Current using a Baader ClickLock 2" DiElectric Star Diagonal. Baader ClickLock 2" DiElectric Star Diagonal | First Light Optics      Nothing wrong with said diagonal - I can binoview using it although the scope only just comes to focus. 

Read up a bit on the Tak version.  Takahashi 1.25" Multi-Coated Prism Diagonal | First Light Optics     Couple of comments about the use of plastic but otherwise users seem quite complimentary.  Any comments greatly received.  Thinking it may have a better light path length for my binoviewers. If it didn't work out a return to FLO for a refund would not be the end of ze world. 

Thanks in advance for anyone's time.     John  

Optically these are excellent. The negative comments you might read about are of the twist locking mechanism getting caught up on the under cuts on certain eyepieces. I had to fill the undercut on my 24mm Panoptic with insulating tape to resolve the problem.

The other comment I might make is about using binoviewers with a 1.25” diagonal of any sort. The narrower barrel has a little less resistance to rotation so I tend to prefer a diagonal with 2” fittings; in my case normally a T2 prism or mirror diagonal. Others may use the Tak prism perfectly successfully with binoviewers so don’t just take my word for it!

Those issues aside, they are very nice, lightweight but well constructed prisms, with great optical quality 👍

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Any people on here use this diagonal.  Thinking of a purchase to add to my Tak 128.  Trying to keep the Tak theme as well as still having good kit in my arsenal. Current using a Baader ClickLock 2" DiElectric Star Diagonal. Baader ClickLock 2" DiElectric Star Diagonal | First Light Optics      Nothing wrong with said diagonal - I can binoview using it although the scope only just comes to focus. 

Read up a bit on the Tak version.  Takahashi 1.25" Multi-Coated Prism Diagonal | First Light Optics     Couple of comments about the use of plastic but otherwise users seem quite complimentary.  Any comments greatly received.  Thinking it may have a better light path length for my binoviewers. If it didn't work out a return to FLO for a refund would not be the end of ze world. 

Thanks in advance for anyone's time.     John  

I have several which I use in my smaller Taks in 1.25 inch configuration. They are great. Optically unsurpassed. Yes there is some plastic, but it’s engineering plastic, not cheap stuff. Recommended

for 2-inch configuration I use Baader, esp BBHS

I had a Tak 1.25" Prism diagonal and thought it was superb, though it is very lightweight and prefer to use a Baader T2 Prism with the binoviewers because with it I can use a 2" nosepiece and a clicklock for extra support and stability. 

• Like 2

I have one and use it with my 8” SCT, it is the best diagonal I have used with this telescope. I totally agree with what has already been said above. 
Occasionally an undercut may snag, and some deep undercuts may not be gripped tightly. I trimmed a few thou off the clamping ring to fix this. 
I cannot check at the moment, but I believe the nose-piece is not threaded for filters. 
For the price it really has to be a bargain.👍

I think I read that the nosepiece on this diagonal doesn't have a filter thread, which may or may not other you. Without it you lose  bit of flexibility- for example I have screwed the glass path corrector into the nose piece to get increased magnification with my binoviewers.

Edit: just realised this has already been pointed out above. 

Edited by RobertI

I love my Tak prism. Some aren't so happy with the locking ring mechanism as it can cause a problem when using eyepieces with deep undercuts. Televue eyepieces are the worst for deep undercuts. And although the body section of the Tak prism is plastic, it is extremely strong and can carry a heavy load without any issues. I've used mine with a barlowed binoviewer for lunar and planetary for years and its never let me down. I think the Tak prism is one of the best value for money accessories on the market.

• Like 3

I used to use a Tak prism for a while, but not secure enough to hold a binoviewer out at 90 degrees in my view. - unless you have hands like Desperate Dan with a vice- like grip.

Good optically though not exceptional in my view.  At risk of alienating all the Takies, I wonder how many would  buy them if they weren't branded Takahashi. My Baader T2, made of metal, is much better in my view and more versatile.

Sorry Mike !  

• Like 2

I have a couple and think they are excellent. I must admit to using them partly to keep everything Tak :) I think they are excellent optically, very light, short light path and I like the locking mechanism, though I try to avoid eyepieces with undercuts. Cons are they don't accept standard filters, don't accept WO GPC for binoviewing and they will not grip deep undercuts as has been mentioned.

Malcolm 

You could always use some narrow vinyl tape in your eyepiece undercut should it foul the compression ring. Ive read very good reports about the optical quality only negative is the plastic body. It goes without saying if your going to hang a 600g £700 eyepiece of the end of your scope then better get a 2" Baader one.