SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tablets !

Bit of help please. I no longer have a laptop and have no intention of buying another,dont ask why please. I do however  have use for a tablet and would like tt know if one can be used coupled to a canon dslr .  Partly to give me a big screen to watch and partly to store images in. Knowing as much about tablets as I do laptops- is this likely to work please.?

Jonathon

Ps.looked this up in search before I wrote it ,now found it ,but any more info appreciated. It will be a bigger samsung with lots of ram etc!

Edited by toofaruphill
Forgot things

1 hour ago, toofaruphill said:

Really just for observing ,if it can process and I find a simple enough app ,which I doubt ,I  ll have a go. Hopefully plug in not wifi.Tried all this before nothing compatible.Plug in a memory stick too.

I've used an old 10" tablet and 7" tablet for controlling my Canon camera. You'll need to get an OTG cable to go with the tablet.

This is a link to the Canon app - you'll need to download on your tablet of course! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.canon.ic.cameraconnect

It offers full control of the camera, will download the photos (or just previews) to the tablet and will also act as an intervalometer. You can use it with liveview to help with focus as well - much better than the small screen on the back of the camera.

DSLR controller was another app that I have used in the past and was highly regarded - but not used it since I got the Canon app a couple of years ago - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

3 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Might be worth thinking about how the photos will be backed up. Tablets are easily nicked and can fail.  Cloud storage is one option, or external local hard drive. 

It's the same challenge with laptops as well.Google and Apple both offer free photo storage (although Google is less generous with space than they used to be).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use DSLR controller with either an Android phone or 7 inch tablet. First install the DSLR remote app (by the same developer) as you can test easy if your Android device and canon DSLR communicate before getting DSLR controller. The app is great and has a built in intervalometer.

The canon I use doesn't have wifi

Edited by happy-kat
  • Thanks 1

On 14/12/2022 at 19:56, toofaruphill said:

Really just for observing ,if it can process and I find a simple enough app ,which I doubt ,I  ll have a go. Hopefully plug in not wifi.Tried all this before nothing compatible.Plug in a memory stick too.

It might be useful to know what sort of canon you have, @toofaruphill. :) 

"No", cried the porcupine, "we must stick them with quills! It's the only way!"

I run a Raspberry Pi on the scope and frequently remote into it with a tablet. Photos go straight onto a USB device plugged into the Pi; I only use iPad battery when I'm actually looking or controlling. I have less than US$120 in the Pi, case, motor-controller board (lets me run off same 12V as my mount), and software.

Heck, I can use my phone if the tablet dies.