SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tripod place in garden

Hi all

I often observe using my tripod set up down the garden (on a lawn). I was thinking that it would be nice to have a pernamanet spot for the tipod so I don't need to level it each time. I might set three old tiles that I have in the lawn down below the grass level. Maybe there are better ways to do this? Do share them. Thanks.

It would be better to have the three tiles on the surface of the lawn, so you know exactly where to place the tripod and also so the tripod legs don;t sink in the grass.  

If you don;t want to have them showing, an alternative would be some of those pads that go under the feet of the tripod, I use them at camp and it stops the feet sinking.  You can peg them down, so you can lift them after a short while and let the grass have some breathing space and put them down again when you plan the next few occasions out.  Unofrtunatley I can;t see a photo of them on line, and I wonder whether they are still for sale.  But basically it is a circle of plastic with a depression in the middle for the tripos, with 2 holes around the circumference for pegging in the ground.  Trying to find my own photo of mine, but not having any success at the moment.  If I find it later I'll post it up.  

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Im going to do the same thing for a 3rd mount outside my observatory. what I'm gonna do - is I bought 3 block paving bricks. I'll position each of them to be just right, standing on their edge, then dig out a space bigger than them, fit them just under level of grass with some postcrete under and around them, and mark on the surface the tripod position or possible drill a small indent for tripod.

I got black bricks to not stand out - other colours are available. This way they will be rock solid and unlikely to move much at all, minimising the need for much re-PAing whenever I use it. 90p a brick from B&Q. bad of postcrete is less than a tenner.

stu

24 minutes ago, Richard N said:

Hi all

I often observe using my tripod set up down the garden (on a lawn). I was thinking that it would be nice to have a pernamanet spot for the tipod so I don't need to level it each time. I might set three old tiles that I have in the lawn down below the grass level. Maybe there are better ways to do this? Do share them. Thanks.

When I used to set up and break down each session I set 3 of these rotary washing line spikes at an angle into my lawn, basically folling the line of each tripod leg.https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8269403 Other brands are available.

They were set just below the lawn surface, so that I could run the mower over the top without any issues - I just need to keep them visible, so that the grass didn't overgrow them and then disappeared.

Just a thought from a newbie;

Back in my motorcycling days I always used to carry a sidestand puck under the pillion seat - if you go to a race for example and have to park in a grass field you put it under the sidestand to stop it sinking into the grass and your bike (~200kg?) falling over.

If you're not familiar, it's a thick plastic puck about the size of a soap dish/palm of your hand with a raised lip around the edge to stop the sidestand sliding off.

Anyway, one of those under each foot of your tripod might do the trick if you don't want to install anything permanent.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid, I sank and leveled three concrete blocks, AKA cinder blocks, in the lawn in my backyard.  I painted circles on each block to mark the positions of the tripod leg tips so it was quicker to align to north.  Since they were sunk down into the grass, a lawnmower could pass right over them.

4 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

When I was a kid, I sank and leveled three concrete blocks, AKA cinder blocks, in the lawn in my backyard.  I painted circles on each block to mark the positions of the tripod leg tips so it was quicker to align to north.  Since they were sunk down into the grass, a lawnmower could pass right over them.

Yes. You could also drill three indentations into the blocks rather than use paint.

Olly

The first time I set up my C925 in October I put it on some heavy tiles on grass but I remembered back to warmer times and insect bites.

Since then I moved to the patio where most of north is obstructed by the house but I can just get Polaris in the polar scope.

The trick I used was to get a piece of plastic sink waste pipe, cut three lengths of about 150mm, sink them into the ground in the selected spot, remove the dirt and fill the pipe with pea shingle. Worked a treat 👌

As you're obviously planning on observing from the same spot; what about setting up a permanent pier? Depending on the type of scope you use, you may even be able to leave the mount permanently attached and just cover it with a canvas bag. I did this with a Losmandy GM8 and a G11 for years, and not once did the mount or its electronics get wet. With less to carry outside, and back inside when everything is caked in ice, and you're cold and tired, I'd imagine you'll use it more often. Everything remains polar aligned too, so no set-up required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1