SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best detail on Mars tonight with the phone camera.

Mart29

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Cracking shots @Mart29, with images like that I bet the views were fantastic. Which scope were you using?

The 200p with 10mm eyepiece and x2 barlow , amazing views tonight. Left the dob out for a good hour before viewing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kon said:

Great image. Is that stacked or single frame?

Not stacked or edited. I take a few second video on the phone and just pause through it until I find a decent image. Zero editing , nice and easy as I like it! This is the video I took. I literally just zoom in a little until I can see it and sit for a few minutes play and pausing then screen shot anything that looks decent. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mart29 said:

Not stacked or edited. I take a few second video on the phone and just pause through it until I find a decent image. Zero editing , nice and easy as I like it! This is the video I took. I literally just zoom in a little until I can see it and sit for a few minutes play and pausing then screen shot anything that looks decent. 

You must have had really good seeing. If you don't want to stack, PIPP might make your life easier as it can convert your movie to tiffs and then you can scroll through them until you find one you think it's good.

• Like 1

Just now, Kon said:

You must have had really good seeing. If you don't want to stack, PIPP might make your life easier as it can convert your movie to tiffs and then you can scroll through them until you find one you think it's good.

Yeah, being lucky with Mars tbh last few times but this evening was the best ever . Down side, I'm still freezing 🥶  an hour later . 

I have PIPP and Registak on the pc , might try them on that video tomorrow.  Honestly though , I'm happy with just the phone and no stacking . 

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

Nice. Last opposition I had some amazing views of Mars, but I haven’t had the seeing conditions so far this year unfortunately. My 8” f8 does a great job on it.

It's strange isn't it,  I all but gave up on Mars a while back . I think my downfall was not letting it get high enough! It is just luck on the night , got sooooo frustrated with it and now it just seems to be decent!? 🤣

5 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Those are amazing from a single from of a phone camera...👏

Thanks ! I got in the house and played the videos not expecting much and was like a kid at Christmas 🤣🤣

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mart29 said:

Excellent photo’s and church bells at the start of the video make it very apt for this time of year 🎄👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jock1958 said:

Excellent photo’s and church bells at the start of the video make it very apt for this time of year 🎄👍

Thanks! Yeah, they make me jump every single time when I'm concentrating 😅

• Haha 1

Very nice, especially Mars! I’ve not done much with the planets this year, even though Jupiter and Saturn have been in a better position and obviously Mars is very well placed. Just been taking my time enjoying the views without taking snaps. Although last year I had a go with my phone on Jupiter using my 200p Dob.

This was one result from last October. I just went though the video manually, selecting the best frame and doing some basic processing on the phone. I don’t own a PC so for me this is the only option. The black dot over Jupiter is Ganymede.

I might give Mars a go, although the weather after tonight doesn’t look great. And tonight I was a a Christmas party so missed out :(

1F2B2C41-AFAC-48EB-AE8E-64D4E14A694E.jpeg

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 3

@Mart29 What phone do you have? With my iPhone 12 I found that I got better results if I zoomed in a little (about 1.8x) at the eyepiece rather than after. Not sure why. Here’s an unedited video that I took of Jupiter last year directly from the eyepiece with my 200p Dob.

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, chessboxing said:

Do you use a holder for your phone if so what sort ? I've seen a few on eBay etc.  Your images look great 👍 

Thanks! Nope , don't use a holder as I enjoy the eyepiece more than images so just a quick snap does me. I just hold the phone over the eyepiece.  

6 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Very nice, especially Mars! I’ve not done much with the planets this year, even though Jupiter and Saturn have been in a better position and obviously Mars is very well placed. Just been taking my time enjoying the views without taking snaps. Although last year I had a go with my phone on Jupiter using my 200p Dob.

This was one result from last October. I just went though the video manually, selecting the best frame and doing some basic processing on the phone. I don’t own a PC so for me this is the only option. The black dot over Jupiter is Ganymede.

I might give Mars a go, although the weather after tonight doesn’t look great. And tonight I was a a Christmas party so missed out :(

1F2B2C41-AFAC-48EB-AE8E-64D4E14A694E.jpeg

Thanks Peter, great Jupiter images! 

I have the Samsung Z Fold. Not the best camera but great for viewing after. 

I was surprised with Mars , honestly must have caught it at the perfect time! I'm all about the eyepiece as I don't like the faffing with imaging setup. So just a quick video works for me. 

• Thanks 1

@Mart29 - thanks! You certainly did capture it at a good time. I was observing Mars on the same night. The seeing was good.

It’s given me some enthusiasm to give it a go. Why I haven’t tried I don’t know, but probably down to just enjoying what I could see.

I’m not sure that many have actually tried a smartphone video on Mars and then manually selected a frame. Yours is the first I’ve seen, certainly for this year. 

• Like 1

Screenshot_20221218_111913_Camera.thumb.jpg.ae38b581ab7493610e727819ed465edd.jpg

22 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

@Mart29 - thanks! You certainly did capture it at a good time. I was observing Mars on the same night. The seeing was good.

It’s given me some enthusiasm to give it a go. Why I haven’t tried I don’t know, but probably down to just enjoying what I could see.

I’m not sure that many have actually tried a smartphone video on Mars and then manually selected a frame. Yours is the first I’ve seen, certainly for this year. 

This one attached is probably the best .  I used pro video and put the ISO on 50 and WB around 3200,  will attach the settingsScreenshot_20221217_131319_Gallery.thumb.jpg.97599f3f8af89165406faaae921d37dd.jpg

Edited by Mart29
  • Like 3

It was like Christmas when I got inside and played the video ( it's the little things )  😅

You should definitely try Mars! 

I will openly admit I don't really know what I'm doing and just got lucky I guess 🤷 

Edited by Mart29
  • Like 2