Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Local Group Dwarf Galaxy location map

symmetal

This map may be useful for those searching for the mainly very faint Local Group dwarf galaxies, like @wimvb 🙂 It shows the positions of those listed in 

The observed properties of dwarf galaxies in and around the Local Group, McConnachie, A.W., 2012, AJ, 144, 4

along with the 2019 update. Small maps are included in the article though I've plotted them on a constellation map obtainable from In-The-Sky.org to make it easier to see where they actually are. Right-click to download it (3250 x 1710 pixels)

The Milky Way generally obscures any lying within its plane which is why none are shown there with a few exceptions like HISZZ 3 which is only visible when imaged in Hα.

1480233132_DwarfGalaxies.thumb.png.ca7efcf9350c31d750a30a56b8dde96c.png

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for that resource, Alan.

1 hour ago, symmetal said:

exceptions like HISZZ 3 which is only visible when imaged in Hα

Now there's a challenge... 😁

In the mean time, I'm enjoying a very unexpected gap in the clouds towards the East. Opened the roof of my observatory a few hours ago and have pointed my scope at a very interesting galaxy pair, which I can't find much information on. Not a dwarf galaxy, though. Those will have to wait untill the weather is stable for a longer period.

• Like 1