SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

So Angry With Skywatcher HEQ5 Mounts Design!!

Plug the ferrite block end of the cable in at the handset. My cable has the same rj45 plugs at each end so is reversible. If its at the handset end it will mot snag, mine never has and Ive had it for years.

• Thanks 1

Plug the ferrite block end of the cable in at the handset. My cable has the same rj45 plugs at each end so is reversible. If its at the handset end it will mot snag, mine never has and Ive had it for years.

Doh, just reread the thread and realised you already spotted this. Glad your sorted

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Sorry, late to the thread. Glad you got it sorted out. Just looked at pictures of HEQ5 mount on FLO and it clearly shows the cable plugged in with the square part going into the handcontroller, and the other end into the mount itself. Pity that nowhere in the HEQ5 manual is this mentioned for users, or any pictures supplied. I use a wifi dongle with my HEQ5 pro mount  and control it via Skysafri Pro. The hand controller is just gathering dust now on a shelf. Not sure why but I find I get a much better alingment when I do it via Skysafari than I ever do using the hand controller anyway. 
11F5C2A0-9898-49DD-B978-7A468F903A06.thumb.jpeg.f6fa3e3e1df84a6735b855a2b0361dd3.jpeg

Hi @Knighty2112

Thank You for your comments/advice, I really am grateful thanks!

Yes I am actually now seriously considering getting the Wi-Fi Dongle so I can control my mount with iPhone. One q I have for you, if I may? Do you know if it's possible for me to control my mount with the Stellarium Software/App that I pay for monthly on my iPhone? I love Stellarium, and have used both the paid for and free versions on my home PC and iPhone, respectively. If I have to, I will pay for Skysafari iPhone app too?

Yes the instructions made no mention of which end to connect the plastic/ferrous block to? I had had it connected the wrong way around for months and snapped one cable, and almost snapped a second one!! And all along, all I had to do to resolve the issue was reverse the cable!!?? I am still kicking myself for literally not seeing the woods for the trees, so to speak!!?? LOL.

Wes.

2 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

Hi @Knighty2112

Yes I am actually now seriously considering getting the Wi-Fi Dongle so I can control my mount with iPhone. One q I have for you, if I may? Do you know if it's possible for me to control my mount with the Stellarium Software/App that I pay for monthly on my iPhone? I love Stellarium, and have used both the paid for and free versions on my home PC and iPhone, respectively. If I have to, I will pay for Skysafari iPhone app too?

Yes the instructions made no mention of which end to connect the plastic/ferrous block to? I had had it connected the wrong way around for months and snapped one cable, and almost snapped a second one!! And all along, all I had to do to resolve the issue was reverse the cable!!?? I am still kicking myself for literally not seeing the woods for the trees, so to speak!!?? LOL.

Wes.

Hi Wes. Sorry, I do not know if it will work with Stallarium mobile - star map app, but according to the blurb on the app in itunes stores it says it does;

9B6CC294-1E80-4BD3-B5DA-679D804FABEC.thumb.jpeg.841cc5aebf90d92c697eb2ac895b7e5a.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

Hi @Knighty2112

Wes.

Sorry, posted again by mistake.

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

One q I have for you, if I may? Do you know if it's possible for me to control my mount with the Stellarium Software/App that I pay for monthly on my iPhone?

Check this out. May give you the answers you are looking for https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/692243-how-to-control-your-usb-enabled-scope-with-stellarium-mobile-plus/

• Thanks 1