Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Animation - Mars Moon Occultation 08-12-22 widefield capture moon full disk

Elp

As it was approaching opposition it was a prime time to try to image Mars in greater detail, then I saw a post about the occultation and having been outside for the few cold clear nights recently it was unique to see Mars getting so close to the Moon. The plan was to image DSO for a few hours, setup my C6 for some close up views and then image both widefield with my Z61 and close up with the C6.

Turns out it was freezing cold, so I couldn't be bothered to setup the SCT, other people however have posted excellent up close images of the occulation so it's recommended to have a look through the lunar and planetary threads to see them.

First time using the ZWO 485MC for planetary as I normally use it as a DSO camera, went well with the AZGTI tracking fairly well. I had to align some of the stacks post  process and I had to oversaturate and colourise Mars to make it stick out as the stacks looked fairly monochrome. I wanted to show a realtime like occlusion and reveal which I think has been captured fairly well, it was a sight to see visually as I kept alternating between my 10mm eyepiece and the camera via a flip mirror.

Please click on the below to see the 4K full res animation on my Flickr profile, hope you enjoy.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 5

• Elp changed the title to Animation - Mars Moon Occultation 08-12-22 widefield capture moon full disk