SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

VW CEP whole phase light curve

After my previous quick attempt here I was finally able to capture a light curve of the whole phase of VW CEP in one continuous sequence last night.

The forecast was clear for the whole night and for once it actually turned out to be perfect and crystal clear! Capture started at 20:22 on 9th and finished at 7:03am today - 10h41m in total resulting in 1,049 subs. No issues with PHD2 guiding for the whole period (I checked a few times during the sequence and it was around 0.6RMS" each time).

Captured using an ASI224MC through an ED80 with UV/IR filter, and then the green channel extracted and run through AstroImageJ to get T-G . Each sub was 15s long with a 30s delay set between them in Ekos (plus some image download/display time of course).

It shows the two different minima nicely. 

774227094_VWCEP2022-12-09LightCurve.png.0b36979ef497204fab078e850d1d4c4c.png

Using a 25 bin average I have the T-G mag range between mag 7.13 and 7.55 and it looks to be a nice clean curve with residuals close to the 25 bin line throughout, so all in all I'm pretty chuffed with this one.

As mentioned in my last thread it is a nice and easy bright target for even a modest scope and camera (or maybe even DSLR and zoom lens) - so I would encourage anyone who is interested to give it a go. Just a few hours will give you a nice shape curve to see.

• Like 11