SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Player One Mars CII mono vs Atik Titan

cesco

I am trying  to understand the better choice for a planetary videocam between the Player One Mars CII mono and my old Atik Titan I always used exclusively for autoguiding. Now I learn that Atik is proposing it as a planetary videocam, which I never considered. My aim is to get highest FPS, of course, and low SNR, and to this aim Player One, running on USB 3.0, seems to be strongly advantaged over Atik Titan. But...am I neglecting other aspects of the issue? Are there other characteristics of the Titan favouring it vs. the Player One? How would the Titan perform on an USB3.0, i5 PC? 

I have always been using a TIS DMK21 AU618 for planetary, and I would be glad just to replace it with my Titan, but I'm making up  the idea that Player One would be the real upgrade for me.

Thank you for opinions.

Francesco

My setup: Meade 7" f/9 ED refractor on Losmandy GII manual mount. Firecapture capture software. Autostakkert 3.1.4(x64) /Registax6 processing softwares.2022-11-09-1928_3-U-B-Jup_37_Jup373839RGB_lapl5_ap80_convRGB RGX.bmp

From a pure specs perspective the Mars C-II will blow the old Atik out of the water.

5e- read noise (if i checked correctly) for the Atik compared to less than 1e- for the Mars C-II. Should be night and day for planetary work where SNR over short exposures is critical.

But i might suggest a camera with the 678 sensor instead, like ASI678MC. With that you would be critically sampling without a barlow, whereas you would need to barlow a little bit with the 662 sensor Mars C-II.

That is if you were to follow the formula for critical sampling which is: Target_F_ratio = pixelsize in microns x 2 / wavelength of light in microns. Which comes out to pixelsize x 2 / 0.5 or simply put pixelsize x4 for a visible light type capture. Your F/9 scope is 4.5x a 2 micron pixel camera, so pretty much spot on.

Much that I'm a big fan of Atik cameras , the new planetary cameras will blow the atik out of the water... I'm sure usb3 never existed when the titan was made... Frame rate will be far superior, download speed far superior, the player one has a imx662 sensor which has a fantastic QE curve, smaller pixels ( 2.9 verses 7.4) 

It has .7e of read noise compared to 7e of the titan, not that it means much on a planetary cam

Sorry to atik but in this instance you're just too old