Narrowband

NGC 3718/3792 reprocessed with added data.

RobH

Hello all,

I posted this a couple of weeks ago but it could have done with more data, and my flats were naff so I ended up brutally noise reducing the background.

This has a lot more data and decent flats.

It still took a lot of work to bring out the remains of the spiral arms in NGC 3718, and the background is a bit noisy, but I decided it was worth it for the extra detail as the outer arms are now faintly visible.

I also managed to get more detail in both 3718 and 3792.

This is an interesting example of the 'more short subs vs longer subs' debate.

Although I have used around 50x 6 minute subs for luminance in the reprocess, the arms were still very faint indeed, and it really needs longer subs, in the region of 10 minutes or more, to start to bring them out properly. I may well add to this with longer subs next year, but it's time to move on now.

NGC 3718-LRGB-Reprocess on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The first image is the new one, with the second the original for comparison

Oh, I added a few diffraction spikes for artistic effect....I know some people don't consider this good practice bit I like them on this one ;)

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Rob

post-14403-133877364379_thumb.jpg

post-14403-133877364387_thumb.jpg

Don't sell it....you'll regret it ;)

I think I am going to hold on to it. My wife rather likes the bright colour of the case.

oops - I have edited out a bit of this post - wife saw it.

John

Lovely Rob. If you make it to Lucksall I'm hoping you can give me a short sharp lesson in bringing out that fainter detail, I really struggle with that, even when I can see it is there, but you are the master!!

Cheers

Tim

The Gods willing, TJ, we will be there.

Bringing out the faint detail simply requires that you sit at the computer for hours, and try everything, then thow it all away and start again.

Looking forward to seeing you and your family again in Lucksall ;)

Cheers

Rob

Wonderful work from you on this Rob. Just catching up on images.

I'd take either one of them, but the redo does stand out.

Perhaps the Diffs. did the trick.;)

I hope you manage to get to Lucksall, It will be great to meet you and Mrs H. And of course, the 14" Meade if you really are going to bring it. :rolleyes:.

Ron.:hello2:

That's a lovely subtle enhancement. It is the subliminal improvemnts which mark out great pics. There was nothing wrong with the first image but in the second the stars are just that bit crisper and you have that bit of extra contast. Brill!

I hope you manage to get to Lucksall, It will be great to meet you and Mrs H. And of course, the 14" Meade if you really are going to bring it. ;).

Ron.:rolleyes:

We're going to be there Ron, it will be great to meet up at last :hello2:

I am definitely bringing the 14....how about bringing the DMK and we can have a crack at Saturn ;)

Cheers

Rob

We're going to be there Ron, it will be great to meet up at last ;)

I am definitely bringing the 14....how about bringing the DMK and we can have a crack at Saturn :rolleyes:

Cheers

Rob

What a great Idea. I will do just that. I still have a lot to learn, and I didn't want to impose too much on anyone, as most guys will be engrossed in doing their own things, especially if the skies are top notch.. I am pleased at your suggestion. Do I bring my laptop too Rob. It has the software loaded. IC Capture that is.

I also have a Logitech Fusion, which I modded for Imaging. It has a 2" adaptor fitted though, not 1.25". I was hoping to hitch a ride for that on a scope, just to see if it performed OK, and If so, I would sell it, as having bought the DMK, I don't need two cameras.

Cheers Rob.

Ron.:hello2:

Again, a top rate image Rob.

Superb detail and colour, right down to the faintest, visable signal in the spiral arms.

Rob, perhaps you should hold time planned, processing classes at SGL4 - I think you're going to be busy!!

Barry.

Ron, certainly bring your laptop. I am a total newbie to planetary imaging, so I have it all to learn.

Barry, if enough people are interested, I'd be pleased to do a couple of workshops (between going on a couple of river walks with Amanda and the hound that is ;))

Cheers

Rob

Ok Rob I have seen some nice pics form you, and also some fantastic pics, but this one for me has a quality that stands out above the rest. A superb effort to gain such depth of detail. Hats off to you for this one.

Dave

I love this image Rob .The dramatic colours of the cores, the action packed little fuzzies in the background... The TMB seems to deliver every time. So does the 16HR where size of field is not an issue.

Olly

Thanks folks. ;)

Olly, the TMB is a lovely scope, I have no regrets about getting it, although, being a greedy sort, I want the 14 set up too!!

I wish I'd had the finances to go for something meatier then the CGE though....nothing wrong with the mount, but I'm right on the weight limit with the TMB, guidescope, cameras etc, and I have to watch the balance all the time to get half decent guiding.

This is a bit of a problem, as it has foiled my cunning plan of sticking a barlow on the scope, and thus getting the same image scale as the 14 at F6.3. Obviously, with a much smaller scope, the exposure times would have to be increased significantly, and this is proving tricky.

Cheers

Rob

Archived