Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 6th Dec

petevasey

After a succession of cloudy nights, clear at last.  So I had a go using my Altair GPCAM2 on my Sharpstar 140 with 2.5x Powermate.  And this is the result of stacking 1200 from 2000 frames.  Having just seen Geoflewis' superb image, I don't know why I bothered!  But I never have particularly good seeing here, and tonight was no exception.  Having said that, this is actually the original image magnified x2.  I'm almost tempted to change telescopes for the occultation early on 8th which is forecast to be clear again, but I've a feeling that although my 10" RC at 2000 mm has just over twice the focal length of the Sharpstar, with its fairly large central obstruction although the actual image will be slightly larger than this one (remember it's magnified x2) I suspect it will be no better.  And with the shorter (910) mm focal length I'll get more of the Moon in the image.  Maybe I'll try the RC around midnight when Mars is at its highest and see how it compares.  It's just that it's a bit of a struggle swapping the scopes over.  But I'll have plenty of time!

Cheers,

Peter

6th Dec.jpg

Edited by petevasey
  • Like 5

That's turned out well Peter, especially given the small aperture scope you were using. Thanks for the kind comment on my image. I am still fighting the Covid virus, that caught me last week, so I am really unsure whether I should even attempt to go out tomorrow morning for the occultation - well I know that I shouldn't, but.......🤔

Thanks, Geof.  I'll be having a go,  I'll never see Mars this big and high again (79 years of age!)  I'm using Altair Capture to run my OSC GPCAM2, and it has a handy batch record feature.  I intend to take a sequence of 1 second avis. If I try to run without a 1 second gap beween each sequence I get the occasional dropped sequence with my venerable XP net top in my Obsy.   But I've just tried my 'new' (refurbished) much more powerful Dell laptop, and it easily coped with 50 sequences of 1 second with no interval between.  About 25 frames in each sequence - should be enough to tease out a passable Mars and Moon unless the slight relative movement between them upsets the alignment and stacking in Registax.  Fingers crossed!  Then construct a video from the individual stacked images.   If it doesn't work as hoped, I'll be able to add the sequences together in a video editor, so all will not be lost!  But well before the occultation I'll try my RC10  to see which resolves best - in both cases I'll be using the 2.5x Powermate.  Plenty of time tonight.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, petevasey said:

Thanks, Geof.  I'll be having a go,  I'll never see Mars this big and high again (79 years of age!)  I'm using Altair Capture to run my OSC GPCAM2, and it has a handy batch record feature.  I intend to take a sequence of 1 second avis. If I try to run without a 1 second gap beween each sequence I get the occasional dropped sequence with my venerable XP net top in my Obsy.   But I've just tried my 'new' (refurbished) much more powerful Dell laptop, and it easily coped with 50 sequences of 1 second with no interval between.  About 25 frames in each sequence - should be enough to tease out a passable Mars and Moon unless the slight relative movement between them upsets the alignment and stacking in Registax.  Fingers crossed!  Then construct a video from the individual stacked images.   If it doesn't work as hoped, I'll be able to add the sequences together in a video editor, so all will not be lost!  But well before the occultation I'll try my RC10  to see which resolves best - in both cases I'll be using the 2.5x Powermate.  Plenty of time tonight.

Cheers,

Peter

Good luck Peter, I look forward to seeing what you get. I've just been down to my obs to check what view I'd get and it will be touch and go with trees to the west, that are potentially in the way, even if I do risk it.....🙄

1 hour ago, petevasey said:

... Capture to run my OSC GPCAM2, and it has a handy batch record feature.  I intend to take a sequence of 1 second avis.....

I intend having a go at this, although being near the east coast there will be clouds and showers passing through.

I just wondered why you can't take a single avi of the whole event, rather than several, and then split the avi into sections? You won't get any gaps then. Anyway, that's what I plan to do. We'll see if it works.

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 1