Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New RASA 11, Ursa Major I Dwarf galaxy hunt not very successful

symmetal

If you read the blurb on the Gerd Neumann website, he claims various advantages to the Aurora panel. All I can say is that it works well. The other thing worth considering is the dew shield (I assume you have scope pointing up with panel on dew shield?).  I invested (even more money!) in the new Celestron aluminium dew shield, and this keeps its shape perfectly with the panel on top, which fits just nicely. I think this has contributed to improving my flats as well, as previously I had a flexible dew shield which moved around quite a bit. It's a nice thing too, with a metal cap on the end to keep the dust out.

• Like 1

I've thought about the aluminium one for my c6 also but it's more volume for storage (I setup and breakdown) whereas the flex one I can wrap around the OTA in its bag.

You do have to be wary to not to move a flexible dew shield when taking flats as the slightest movement will completely change the vignetting form. I helped mine a little by creating a cutout on one side so when I put it on the tube, the cutout slots onto the front part of the dovetail as an interference fit which can hold it in place when fully open, then wrap it closed around the OTA, and centre it roughly. I only use an A4 led tracer panel so it's fairly light when put into the dew shield, an 11 inch will need something larger/heavier so more likely prone to shifting.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

@Fegato @Elp Thanks, I'll go for the Aurora one. After spending so much on scope and camera skimping on a minor item probably isn't worth it. 🙂

I do have a rigid dewshield that I 3D printed in three parts. I've flocked the inside now as well. I thought it might be too long at 400mm causing some vignetting, buts the flats are no different with or without it. It's a bit heavy though so I may try again using 1mm thickness for most of the tube with a couple of thicker ring sections for rigidity. I'll make it a bit shorter too, as at the moment, it just fits through the roll-off shed doorway at one specific position. The Ender 5 Plus is just big enough to print it.  The 4 spigots slide in the dovetail ends, so it is at the same position all the time. The bulge at the top rear allows the cables to pass through. 🙂

IMG_3474.jpg.0be93e759d6cab3a9ae44f948ddfe1cb.jpg

AlanIMG_3476.jpg.1fc3b35d7c978700de5cd3edc05aadad.jpg

• Like 1